Meat Bird Laying Eggs?

YAY! on posting your first pics!

here are my 20 lb fatties, they lived to be about a year and a half and gave me many babies
smile.png

19992_cornish_cross004.jpg

Thanks, Katy! Your Cornish Fatties are beautiful.
I've only got one CornishX hen left... the other was losing weight & getting raspy. She was about 1.5 yrs old, the other hen is HUGE to me... about 12 lbs, actually, but the Roos are about 15+ lbs. Had thought they were a whole lot heavier. These three are Top Birds in the coop... Queen B actually "nests" in a pan I use for food, guarding it should any of her underlings attempt to sneak a morsel. (there are several pans in the coop). Was worried about introducing new birds, but they've taken it in stride. Sometimes the big, "Peace lovin' Fatties" roam around the barn, and dust bathe under the grain wagon. The roos get along fine... and there has been no picking or other problems with them.

Also butchered the 13 -16 wk old hen that panted all the time (along with the old girl).... she was about 12 lbs. I always remember that they have been humanely treated and raised with respect, with regard for their comfort and needs.
smile.png

Life in the food chain... ya can't always just eat eggs!

KATY--can you post pictures of what your special breed of meat birds look like? how old until they mature to butchering age?? how big do they get?

Thanks, Bearsfan! They are nice little biddies. It surprised me that there is no size difference between them & the others... actually a bit smaller than the Barred Rock X average. The feathers are "dingy" white, not WHITE like the parents. A few have black spots on a few feathers. One in particular is very light grey lavenderish. All are CALM... just downright serene in temperament. Thus far their combs are very pale...

The hatch dates were 5/5 & 5/27. Took the pictures posted about 7/23.

Quote:
thanks, this was them at their prime, they were really pretty rough and ragged at the end, when they go downhill they do it fast. But they were sweethearts right to their last days.

Katy, whatcha got in the bator? Are you hatching for meatbirds?

The big Cornish X birds were pretty... but the roos sorta pulled a whole lot of their feathers off. Their skin is thin, so I ended up suturing a couple birds... kinda thought it was crazy at the time, but hey, it worked! My last big bird is huge, not a whole lot of feathers on her back, but really doing well. The Roos still look good, one has bald patches on the shoulders, but a nice big friendly guy.

They're in with a bunch of flighty fluffy faced Aracaunas, and the hatchlings now too. All is well, so far. There are a couple of roos in that bunch, but no issues to date. Perhaps the other roos are still too young. Some are just now finding their voices.

Don't have definite plans for that bunch... keeping the hatchlings for eggs. Just enjoy 'em, & use the coop cleanings for heating up the compost piles!

We LOVE learning to become more self-sufficient all the time. Raise natural, pastured beef... breed it ourselves, etc. Also into heirloom veggies. The cattle & birds make for some super green gardens! The garden goodies 'n greens go to keep the birdies healthy, too. Also, FAR FAR FAR fewer flies around the barn since we got the chickens. They used to have the run of the place, till the fox picked a few off this past winter & spring. Now we're working on a HUGE outside run for them to play safely in. Have also had a few problems with coons.

Back
Top Bottom