Meat birds, Meat birds got some questions on meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MRNpoultry, Mar 19, 2008.

1. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Thanks for the link, I have been hearing everybody talking about them.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2008
  2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    My dads friend might go in to get some meat chickens with me! I am going to start work on there pen soon if he does and we would order them in early fall. I was looking at mcmurrys website and I saw the frying pan special, it is cheaper than the cornishs, but there just extra white leghorn roosters. So I was thinking of getting 25 of them and 10-15 cornishs. Could they stay in the same pen?

3. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Well they can. But a Leghnorn is going to grow nowhere nearly as quickly as your Cornish will. If you want smaller birds, I'd just get all Cornish X and just process some earlier than others.

4. Quote:Where do you purchase freedom rangers? I googled them and didn't find anything.

thanks

5. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    I was going to get freedom rangers, but I don't know where to buy them from since the place that use to sale them doesn't anymore.

But a Leghnorn is going to grow nowhere nearly as quickly as your Cornish will. If you want smaller birds, I'd just get all Cornish X and just process some earlier than others.

Since the leghorns are cheaper to buy than the cornish x, will they end up costing more from having to buy feed for them longer. The only other reason I thought of getting the leghorns, was because when my great grandpa had is chicken farm, that is what he use to sell.​

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  6. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    How many meat chickens can a 5 feet wide x 10 feet long pen hold?

7. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Freedom Rangeres were a proprietary brand of meat broilers which were/are alternatives to the Cornish Cross. You can still get the same birds, just under a different name, from JM Hatchery (Red Bro broilers, soon to have Grey and Black as well). Also Yankee Chicks carries the same line, but I'm not sure what names they're using.

If you pressed it, you could go up to 25 broilers in 50 SF.

8. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Quote:Thanks

I am going to try to get some of them then.

If you pressed it, you could go up to 25 broilers in 50 SF.[/

Thats all I want to start with so that will work. Once I get my first batch I might make the coop 10x10 so I can get more.​

9. my cornish x are free ranging now, I really do like the feeling that even though they are being raised for dinner, they have a happy life while they are with me. they pretty much free range ALL DAY just eating eating eating. they actually range quite a way around the yard, but always go back to the coop at night. I always thought of cornish x as lazy, but mine are quite active, even flying up to sit on my goat's head! {which she does NOT like!!} I give them a hearty amount of food first thing in the mourning, then let them pick around the yard til dark. they are growing quite well!! and I am not spending a fortune!!! [​IMG]

10. paisleycj

paisleycj In the Brooder

Apr 15, 2008
    Minnesota
    I bought cornish roasters from MMH this year, instead of the cornish X. They seem much more active to me, than the X's. I do give them vitamins in their food, but avoid anything with antibiotics/hormones. I'm thinking of trying to keep one of the pullets to breed with my Partridge Rocks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: