Meat birds, Meat birds got some questions on meat birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by MRNpoultry, Mar 19, 2008.

1. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Songster

Feb 26, 2008
  2. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Thanks fo the link, I am googleing meat birds to.

3. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Can you move them outside sooner then other kinds of chickens, I don't know how long they could stay in 45 gallon rubbermaid container.

4. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Songster

Feb 26, 2008
    Well with you being in NC they could probably go out sooner. I'm in SC and we are really warming up. I expect my sex link pullets to be out at 3 weeks. I will put a light in the coop, just in case there is a cool night, or two, but they will be coming out of the brooder to enjoy the warm days, green grass and healthy sunshine. I like to get them out in a natural environment as soon as possible. This holds true for both layers that I raise and slaughter birds. I, like many people here, think that one of the advantages to raising our own aniimals is knowing we gave them a quality life while they were here.

I'm not raising the big cornish X that your probably referring too, but I'd think you'd be able to put them out as soon as they are feathered out and if you will look there is another really good post that documents their growth. You can see for yourself on there when they feather out.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  5. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    If we get them is it better to wait tell the fall when it is cooler I think I saw this in a prevaouis post.

6. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    What does freedoom ranger mean.

7. greyfields

greyfields Crowing

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Quote:That says it all!

8. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    Thats the main reason I want meat chickens so when they are alive they will have a good life and taste better to me.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2008
  9. MRNpoultry

MRNpoultry Songster

Mar 2, 2008
    Gibsonville, NC
    What does freedoom rangers mean?

10. GwenFarms

GwenFarms Songster

Feb 26, 2008
    Its a breed of meat bird. Just google it and you'll find some info. Alot of people here like them better, as they seem to live a more quality life than the cornish X.

Heres a link I just found for you:

www.freedomrangers.net

Last edited: Mar 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: