Meat birds, Meat birds got some questions on meat birds

Quote:
How much longer does it take to get them to butchering weight? I would think your's would sure be a healthier bird. I've been looking at chicken tractors, trying to figure out what style to build. We've got lots of eagles and hawks around, so totally free ranging is out of the question for us.
sad.png

I have 13 Freedom Rangers in a coop that's about 6 x 12 and there's plenty of room. They don't really roost like layers; just kind of plop down where they want to. Wish I would have gotten more. Could have handled at least 5 more but I didn't want to overcrowd.

I have 49 cornish x's they are going outside in the tractor tomorrow they will be nearly 3 weeks. I put a heat lamp in there to help if they get cold. I just can't stand cleaning up after them in the brooders anymore. I have to change the paper every night. and there is about a solid 3/4" of poop on everything.
barnie.gif
and they totally stink. But I'm sure they will be worth it.

I like the tractor idea because I will move it everyday and the poop won't build up too much and they won't just sit in it like they do if they don't get moved all the time. Plue I hope they will forage a little to help keep the feed cost down a little.

If I were you I'd stay away from the leghorns. They are pretty small birds and they will cost more in feed to get them to the butchering stage.

I had to move mine out, too. Same reason...changing paper constantly. I had an old whelping box that I had built, and its 6' x 6' square on the inside. I just took the floor out and stapled chicken wire on the frame. Put straw underneath and *poof* chicks are out in the shed, they don't stink, they have a lamp and shelter, and I check on them 3 times a day. I could probably knock out the noontime check...lol...in about another week, I'm moving them out to their private suite in the coop where they will be able to forage in the grass. And then in about another 3 weeks it will be time to butcher.

How long does it take before Leghorns can be butchered? I know it takes longer then the cornish but they are a few dollars less to order then the cornish were so i was going to get those. Just wondering. I was thinking 2-3 months old before I could butcher.
idunno.gif

I think it's 15 weeks, but Leghorns never get really big. Plus the feed conversion isn't as good, so what you don't pay for the bird you'll pay for in food and a lot more.

Meat birds from Meyer are just pennies so you might look into those. I've not bought those before but .86 ea for 50 isn't bad.

Last edited:
Last night I ordered 15 Red Bro Broilers from DH. How long do you think they'll have to stay inside before they can free range?

Quote:
From everything I've read, don't bother with the leghorns. What you save on the chicks, it will cost you in feed (with very little meat).

I ordered 50 (received 51) Broilers from Meyer in April. They're 3 1/2 weeks old now, and I've only lost 1, and haven't noticed any problems in the others. But yes, they are meat chickens and as such, they have all of the meat chicken issues (big, fat, lazy, meat growing machines).

Average nightime temperatures where I am are around the 50ish mark. Wondering if I should keep them in a tractor or invest in another henhouse. Economy is important and the tractor that I have now is about 4 feet wide by six feet long and about 4 feet high. I can find some way of protecting them at night.

Back
Top Bottom