meat birds panting one died early today, aprx 3 weeks old

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mama dixie, Apr 13, 2012.

1. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    I have 20 cornish cross and one died, it was not doing well last night. I noticed it panting and not wanting to move around much. it also did not want to eat. I seperated it from the others and today it was dead... I noticed some of the others maybe 3 also panting. I left the coop for a bit and when I came back they had calmed down and seem ok. I know usualy you loose some of the birds but this seems early to me. do you think something is wrong?

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I'm not that experienced with them and I'm guessing you've looked at everything I'll mention already.

Were they too hot?
    Did something stress them out? You stated they calmed down when you came back.
    I see mine panting sometimes for no apparent reason. Hopefully it was just a weakness in that one chick. Have you had any more losses?

3. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    in a different post i read that they sometimes over eat & this causes them to pant. i don't know if it would cause them to die or not. good luck.

4. kcjones

kcjones Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    my cornish rocks were panting an laying down alot , after i cut back on food an didnt leave food out all the time , they seem to not pant as much. started letting them out to get more exercice they seem better now

5. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    thank you for all the feed back. we have not lost anymore and I think I will start taking the food up at night now.. they are now close to 4 weeks and dont seem to be that big. I will have to check my dates. people tell me they should be full grown by six weeks mine are just starting to get fethers and are no whear near full size.. lets see I got them march the 23 so yea 3.5 weeks about... we will see what hapens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by