MEAT BIRDS WEIGH TOO MUCH!!!!!!

Animal Person

Hatching
Mar 27, 2016
So I have 7 Meat birds and I am going to show them in the fair for FFA. The only problem is by 10 weeks they have to weigh between 6-8 pounds. Right now 6 out of 7 birds weigh 8 pounds. The female weighs 7 pounds. But I still have 2 more weeks with them!! So how can I get them too loose weight or not gain any more weight. Obviously not feeding them is not a option. PLEASE HELP!!!!

I'm not sure that you want to go the route of making them loose weight. That being said is there specific regulations that tell you they must be that weight? When I was in FFA I routinely raised 14 and 15 pound broilers and I always won at least reserve champ. If you want to watch their weight your best bet is to decrease the amount of protein you are giving them. For example if you are feeding them a high protein grower feed, switch to a 16% layer feed. If you are giving them free choice feed maybe cut back to two feelings a day.

Another thought. A lot of times these birds try to "out eat" each other. Maybe try separating them in to two or three smaller groups and their food intake might just go down.

Back
Top Bottom