meat birds

like said above...you wouldn’t caponize birds that you harvest in 8 weeks...only dual purpose birds that you raise until the girls start to lay. supposed to be better. i don’t know...but i am a dentist and do a lot of minutia type surgery...so it looks easy and figured i’d caponize half the cockerels and do a side by side taste test. if it doesn’t taste different, why bother?
i’m also curious about learning new things...especially when it’s something of an art and being lost between generations. i am the 7th generation making sauerkraut where i live along with summer sausage, salami, meat sticks, beer and venison prosciutto. in my mind, these are staple items that people just buy today and no longer know how to make.

like said above...you wouldn’t caponize birds that you harvest in 8 weeks...only dual purpose birds that you raise until the girls start to lay. supposed to be better. i don’t know...but i am a dentist and do a lot of minutia type surgery...so it looks easy and figured i’d caponize half the cockerels and do a side by side taste test. if it doesn’t taste different, why bother?
I’d love to read an update to this; I’m thinking of abandoning Bresse due to the noise (they are the loudest birds I’ve ever had and mature early). I didn’t dare to consider caponising them, but if it’s not too difficult, I might just consider it.

i have a big family...2 catchers, 1 killer, 2 scalders, 2 pluckers, 3 eviscerators, 3 packers.
Nice! My neighbor and I split 100 broilers with me so hopefully between the two of us we can recruit a few more volunteers to get a big assembly line going.

Nice! My neighbor and I split 100 broilers with me so hopefully between the two of us we can recruit a few more volunteers to get a big assembly line going.
my birds are dual purpose. however, the ones we caponize...if not all of the cockerels...will go back into the brooder house for a bit with no roosts. my biggest concern is not the caponizing procedure...it’s identifying all of the cockerels vs pullets at 6 weeks. i am comfortable with caponizing but more worried i’ll be looking for testicles in a bird with no testicles. ;)

So we have two dentist on this site that I know of. Is it time to open a BYC client only practice? I could just see the slogan in the window. No chickens no service. @muddy75
Payment by bags of feed accepted would that be a redneck form of EBT??🤔
So we have two dentist on this site that I know of. Is it time to open a BYC client only practice? I could just see the slogan in the window. No chickens no service. @muddy75
Payment by bags of feed accepted would that be a redneck form of EBT??🤔
i want to caponize next week. who is the other dentist?

the cooling tank is kind of like a cold version of a sous vide...same way you cool down wort when making beer
So do you put the chicken in a bag, and then into the cold water for cooling (like with sous vide)? I know that air cooling is preferred to water cooling, because if you put the chicken directly into the cold water, it soaks some of it up. I also know that coming up with a home system for air cooling might be pretty expensive. But I like the sound of a "sous vide" system, so I will be interested in hearing how it works for you.

Back
Top Bottom