Meat Chick with vent gleet?

JennyFromTheBawk

Chirping
Jun 14, 2019
Central Alberta
Hello,
This is our first time with meat birds (but we’ve had laying hens for a few years). We have 40 Cornish Giants and they’re 4.5 weeks old living their best life in a couple pastured chicken tractors. The other day I discovered one male was getting picked on and his butt was bloody. He’s been separated from the the rest for a few days now and I think he has vent gleet (white discharge on his behind and he just keeps leaking). I’ve been cleaning it off and gave him some molasses and ACV but nothing seems to be changing. He’s acting fine and eating and drinking lots of water but his butt just keeps leaking :(
I’m tired of him being in the house so I need opinions. This may sound harsh but is it worth it to try to cure him or is culling the route to take. I’d rather not cull (since it could be a dinner for the fam) but so far he’s too much work. I read that vent gleet isn’t contagious so should I just put him back with the rest for the next 4 weeks? I’d rather no one else gets sick though as everyone is perfectly fine.

I would either cull him now or treat him. I would not put back with the rest un-treated. You won't want to eat him if he has vent gleet, and it won't heal itself, so... Some yeast infection cream from the store applied into the vent (carefully) should do the trick.

I would either cull him now or treat him. I would not put back with the rest un-treated. You won't want to eat him if he has vent gleet, and it won't heal itself, so... Some yeast infection cream from the store applied into the vent (carefully) should do the trick.
Why dont you want to eat it if it has vent gleet?

Back
Top Bottom