Meat chicken coop

Quote:
May I ask what something like this would cost?

Which one- the wood one or the PVC one?

both please

The biggest costs are the hardware cloth and the PVC connectors. You have to get them from a specialty store online, as plumbing supply stores don't sell 5-way connectors. I spent about $100 on those (from atozsupply.com,) then I used (4) 10x2 rolls of hardware cloth at about $11 apiece, and a 5x10 piece of chicken wire for the top. I don't remember what that cost, but get it at a feed store, not at TSC. The feed store (at least the one by me) sells it by the foot, which will save you a ton. The PVC is 1" SCH40, which goes for about $2.50 per 10ft piece. I think I used about 15 of them.

As for the wooden one, you can make that as cheap as you want, depending on what wood you use. Again, the hardware cloth is the most expensive part. It was almost too heavy to move, so I sold it.

I built this one for about $100

tractor.jpg

Quote:
Awesome!! I love recycling and have unlimited pallets. I want to make a meatie tractor, this will help me right out! Thanks for posting!!

Quote:
Awesome!! I love recycling and have unlimited pallets. I want to make a meatie tractor, this will help me right out! Thanks for posting!!

I really like this one too... I've got 60 pallets in my yard right now, I bet I could put something together like that
smile.png

Well I have very limited income (dh is unemployed atm) and absolutely no construction know how, so I'm sure my meat bird pen isn't proper, but it works! I spent about $100. I used two rolls of cage wire, a roll of chicken wire (for around the top), zip ties, plastic fencing stakes, and some tarp.

I'm not quite done (I just built it yesterday), I need to get some dowel rods or something to support the tarp so it doesn't sag when it rains. I think I'm going to get another tarp for the open area and secure it with small bungees instead of zip ties, so I can fold it back during the day and secure it at night. I had dh pull up these ugly logs that were around the flower beds and put them around the bottom to try and discourage predators.

24388_1384087084902_1313738387_1040439_4396747_n.jpg

24388_1384087164904_1313738387_1040440_3424810_n.jpg

I put tarp around this corner and laid down some pine shavings so they'd have a more comfortable place to sleep and someplace to get out of the elements if it gets rainy or windy.

So it's not pretty but it works and they seem happy enough.

Last edited:
Quote:
How many meaties will this hold?

Do meat bird not roost either at any point?

We are researching them because we are thinking about doing them this spring.....Lots of questions...
Thanks for letting me interupt...

Jess

Back
Top Bottom