meat chickens

clucknorris2124

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 27, 2014
I've had some ideas about producing my own meat if anyone has any ideas on which breeds i should get please tell me
thanks

do they grow fast i would like to cull them at 6-8 weeks of age

I think Australorps are the very best dual purpose breed. They are very hardy, calm and gentle birds, that mature fairly rapidly and are excellent layers. However, if you want a lot of meat at 6-8 weeks of age, then Cornish X Rocks are you only real option. The problem is, you can't just get some Cornish Cross and breed them as they are hybrids that won't breed true, and as subhanalah says, the adults suffer all kinds of health problems. If you want to breed Cornish Cross, you will have to do as the hatcheries do. Get some pure Cornish roosters and breed them to some White Rocks. Of course to do this, you will need to maintain a flock of both breeds.

I think Australorps are the very best dual purpose breed.  They are very hardy, calm and gentle birds, that mature fairly rapidly and are excellent layers.  However, if you want a lot of meat at 6-8 weeks of age, then Cornish X Rocks are you only real option.  The problem is, you can't just get some Cornish Cross and breed them as they are hybrids that won't breed true, and as subhanalah says, the adults suffer all kinds of health problems.  If you want to breed Cornish Cross, you will have to do as the hatcheries do.  Get some pure Cornish roosters and breed them to some White Rocks.  Of course to do this, you will need to maintain a flock of both breeds.
as well as Artificial Insemination since the boys have such a hard time getting the job done.

Back
Top Bottom