Meat Leftovers

Rileysixchix

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 13, 2011
South Eastern Pennsylvania
hi everybody!

I've heard meat can be good for the chickens to get some extra vitamins and minerals in their diet. I was wondering if there was anything wrong with feeding it red meat, or other poultry, and how much should i give them of each? Anything is appreciated! Thanks!
big_smile.png

My chickens will eat mice and other rodents the cats bring in. I also gave them all my poor goldfish which died at one time. They will eat any meat I give them which is generally cooked. I trust them to know what is alright for them.

IMO, the only danger in feeding cooked meat to chickens is the danger of losing a hand or foot if you don't get out of the way fast enough. I suggest, just throw it and run.
wink.png

Last edited:
lol.png

Be mindful of giving them meat that is not spoiled and is not to fatty. A great treat! Nothing like seeing your babies go crazy town over a turkey carcass. Scary!
tongue.png

Mine love meat, spagetti with hamburger in it, left over turkey chicken etc. I have not done ham i heard years ago it's hard on animals helots and can cause bleeding.

One of my girls favorite treats is lettuce, cucumbers and leftover fish. Living in Florida, we have access to lots of fresh fish which we eat. If there is any left, I give it to the girls. My neighbor (the fisherman) recently went hunting instead of fishing and they liked the venison and duck
ep.gif
I suppose they have been spoiled with the fresh and now the little stinkers turn up their beaks at canned tuna although they ate it before they had fresh.

Yes ............ don't fret the particulars, throw it to them and let them have at it, the protien and fat will be good for them.

Chickens are known to eat anything. If they are free range like mine, I say let them eat what they know is good. If they have basic grain in their coop and can venture out to eat bugs, worms, etc, more power to them. They seem to know what is good for them so let them choose. I found my chickens excitedly huddled around something in the tall grass eating as fast as they could. I found they were eating maggots from a dead squirrel my dog had caught a couple days prior. My chickens love canned catfood and dogfood but will nearly fight the dog over a freshly cooked bone for the marrow. I give them meat and fat occasionally but I can't bring myself to give them chicken. Something about that cannibalistic behavior frightens me. Whatever protein source they eat will be broken down to the basic building blocks of protein which are amino acids. From those amino acids they will build chicken protein. We all do the same. We eat fish, meat, tofu, etc and break it down to amino acids then build human protein from those 20 amino acids. It's that simple, folks!

Gave my birds the ham bone from Christmas. No problems. Yesterday we gave them a pork bone I took from a shoulder roast. Had abit of meat on it, raw. They loved ot all. First time for raw meat. I have some pork rind leftover from skining a belly for bacon. They picked the skin clean. Just a tissue thin layer of tough skin left.
I'd feed them all that again, no problem.

Back
Top Bottom