Meat spots in every egg?

Xtinehlee

Hatching
May 21, 2022
Hi! One of my hens, a black copper maran, is a good layer. We also have a rooster, which may be a factor. My question has to do with the fact that every egg she lays has a meat spot (dark red/brown fleck). Every time. I hear that they can be caused as a blood vessel rupture when laying and it’s natural, sometimes caused by stress or weather changes. Well. None of my other hens has laid an egg with a meat spot. It’s been 18 months of laying with this particular flock (in my other flocks, no meat spots either). Is there a way to help her not lay meat spots? Does this mean I’ll never be able to hatch a black copper maran? (The rooster is black copper maran and the other hens are black Ameraucana).

Not an emergency. Just very very curious.

Christine

Hi! One of my hens, a black copper maran, is a good layer. We also have a rooster, which may be a factor. My question has to do with the fact that every egg she lays has a meat spot (dark red/brown fleck). Every time. I hear that they can be caused as a blood vessel rupture when laying and it’s natural, sometimes caused by stress or weather changes. Well. None of my other hens has laid an egg with a meat spot. It’s been 18 months of laying with this particular flock (in my other flocks, no meat spots either). Is there a way to help her not lay meat spots? Does this mean I’ll never be able to hatch a black copper maran? (The rooster is black copper maran and the other hens are black Ameraucana).

Christine
Picture, possibly?

Picture, possibly?
Picture, possibly?

Christine
Here is a picture for reference.

The rooster has nothing to do with meat spots and yes, you can use her eggs for hatching.
I figured he had nothing to do with them but I read somewhere eggs with meat spots were less likely to hatch so wanted to doublecheck (bc that does sound like nonsense)?

Attachments

• B8963C59-7692-40AA-B91E-B2D614E662CF.jpeg
    B8963C59-7692-40AA-B91E-B2D614E662CF.jpeg
    200.1 KB · Views: 2
Since it's consistent with her it's likely a physical or genetic issue that's causing her to slough off these little spots in the eggs. Eggs are safe to eat, and you can pick out the spots if they're unappetizing (I usually do). Having a rooster is unrelated, I have never had a roo and have had hens that always laid eggs with meat spots.

I don't know if it affects hatching at all.

Since it's consistent with her it's likely a physical or genetic issue that's causing her to slough off these little spots in the eggs. Eggs are safe to eat, and you can pick out the spots if they're unappetizing (I usually do). Having a rooster is unrelated, I have never had a roo and have had hens that always laid eggs with meat spots.

I don't know if it affects hatching at all.
I agree, those aren’t anything bad, they are edible, and they probably should hatch.

I just asked that same question in another thread! I have four black copper marens hens and all four have that in every egg… I wonder if that is a common problem in that breed? Mine will at times have quite a bit of blood in them and My other breeds of hens don’t have it at all!

Back
Top Bottom