meatie diet question

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by plreef, Mar 10, 2009.

1. plreef

plreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    I have 37, 3 1/2 week old Cornish Rocks from Ideal. Right now they just over a pound in weight. I put the on broiler crumbles. 22% protein. Should I add in crushed corn into their diet?
    Ideal says that they can reach 6 pounds in 6 weeks. I just don't see that happening. I have never raised meaties before. I'm I on the right track or should I change their diet?

Thanks.

2. jbhill

jbhill New Egg

Dec 1, 2008
    Arma, KS
    We raised Cornish X meat birds (straight runs) last year and they weighed about 26 oz (1.63 lbs) at 3 weeks. At 4 weeks they weighed 47 oz (2.62 lbs). They gained nearly 20 oz per week. We started butchering at 6.5 wks & finished @ 7.5 wks with an average dressed weight of 5.54 lbs. The larger birds were over 7 lbs & the smaller birds were 4.5 lbs.

Their main food was Purina Flock Raiser @ 20.0% protein. They were moved daily in the grass. We did add corn but I don't believe it was absolutely necessary.

Are you chickens caged, free range, grass fed,...? Free range chickens tend to dress smaller because they are more active.

Hopefully this info helps you.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  3. plreef

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    Right now they are in a large brooder in the basement... Stinky stinky!!! Next week they are going out into a chicken tractor when they get feathered out.

4. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Do not dilute their diet with corn. This will change the amino acid:energy ratios and result in fatter animals. At this stage the birds need the Amino Acids to meet the demands of protein growth.

Jim

5. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Stick with the broiler feed- you shouldn't need any corn.

6. plreef

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    So do you think that they can still gain 3 to 5 pounds in the next 4 to 5 weeks? I know they grow fast but thats alot weight to gain.

7. plreef

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    I just weighed them. They are averaging between 1.3 and 1.6 pounds.

8. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Keep feed in front of them during the day and water all the time and they will get big FAST.

9. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Keep doing what you're doing, and you'll have 9 pounders (live weight,) at 8 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by