meatie diet question

plreef

Songster
11 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Eastern CT
I have 37, 3 1/2 week old Cornish Rocks from Ideal. Right now they just over a pound in weight. I put the on broiler crumbles. 22% protein. Should I add in crushed corn into their diet?
Ideal says that they can reach 6 pounds in 6 weeks. I just don't see that happening. I have never raised meaties before. I'm I on the right track or should I change their diet?

Thanks.

We raised Cornish X meat birds (straight runs) last year and they weighed about 26 oz (1.63 lbs) at 3 weeks. At 4 weeks they weighed 47 oz (2.62 lbs). They gained nearly 20 oz per week. We started butchering at 6.5 wks & finished @ 7.5 wks with an average dressed weight of 5.54 lbs. The larger birds were over 7 lbs & the smaller birds were 4.5 lbs.

Their main food was Purina Flock Raiser @ 20.0% protein. They were moved daily in the grass. We did add corn but I don't believe it was absolutely necessary.

Are you chickens caged, free range, grass fed,...? Free range chickens tend to dress smaller because they are more active.

Hopefully this info helps you.

Last edited:
Right now they are in a large brooder in the basement... Stinky stinky!!! Next week they are going out into a chicken tractor when they get feathered out.

So do you think that they can still gain 3 to 5 pounds in the next 4 to 5 weeks? I know they grow fast but thats alot weight to gain.

Back
Top Bottom