Meatie Massacre

sdlacrow

Hatching
10 Years
May 28, 2009
Iowa
We've got our chicks in our suburban garage until old enough to go out to my parent's farm. They were going to leave for the farm in the next few days and then disaster struck. My boys left our garage door open and a neighbor's dog(s) got in. Ten were dead in the pen, there are significant bite wounds in at least another 10 who will likely die over the next few days, and several are missing. Started out with 50 chicks and they are 3 1/2 wks old. Not sure which of the five or so neighbor dogs that run loose almost daily did the deed and we live in town where we aren't really supposed to have chickens, so can't really make a report. Fortunately, did not touch the 30 layer chicks in the pen right next to the meaties. Between the cost of chicks and feed we are out $50-60 which is annoying but not a huge deal and they were going to die in a few weeks anyway, but I'm just so upset they were terrorized and killed like that. I feel like I let the poor little fatties down. I'm not sure whether to humanely kill the injured ones, but some were walking around even with huge puncture wounds and still eating. I have to imagine that infection would be a big problem with bite wounds and I'm not sure if you can give antibiotics to chickens that you are going to butcher. I didn't think birds were very hardy creatures in general so I don't want them to suffer any more than they already have. Is it possible that they could pull through?? We did humanely kill 3 that were mortally wounded but hadn't died yet.
barnie.gif

The withdrawl time for antibiotics would be longer then you have before butcher. You might try some neosporin, but there again I'm not sure about withdrawl time if any.
hugs.gif

My neighbor here had a fox try to kill one of his laying hens. He ripped a piece of skin off her back at least 3" by 3", and I'm sure there were bite wounds as well, but after a few days of looking beat up and sick, she acted normally and she's back to normal now.

I think most animals are a lot tougher than you might think.

Good luck.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom