Meaty thing found in my coop.

Sapphire Jan

Chirping
Mar 10, 2018
inCollage_20201105_103855880.jpg

I have no idea what this is! It is dense and rubbery. I don't even know if it came from a chicken or a cat. Please help!

This us the first one in five years of owning chickens. I've read that the gen can be treated, but I have no idea which one laid it. None of them are acting unusual. I keep their feed and water clean and add vitamin supplements to their water.
Idk then. I'm sorry about your hen, hopefully she makes it.

It's not guaranteed death unless you don't bother treating your bird for an infection.

First of all, salpingitis is not a deadly, uncurable disease, that word only means that your bird has SOME KIND OF ongoing infection in her fallopian tubes (oviduct), what TYPE of infection could be from any bacteria or virus capable of reproducing inside a chicken. And there are MANY, with varying degrees of severity and curability.

It can be viral, in which case she needs to see a vet to find out what she has and get virus-specific medication in order to recover.

It can, more probably, be bacterial since there are infinite ways a bacterial infection can happen in the henhouse. If it's bacterial, your hen can likely be saved with antibiotics, warmth, privacy, and nutritious food.

I sincerely wish people would educate themselves before passing your hen a death sentence and causing stress and worry, things could very easily turn out just fine and they might not! You might as well try to salvage the bird before writing her off as a lost cause.

Last edited:
This us the first one in five years of owning chickens. I've read that the gen can be treated, but I have no idea which one laid it. None of them are acting unusual. I keep their feed and water clean and add vitamin supplements to their water.
How big is your flock? Can the birds be isolated into small groups to narrow down the number of possible culprits?

Back
Top Bottom