Mechanics!! Help please!

If you are not mechanically inclined I'd let a mechanic do it. There are as stated a lot of electronics in newer vehicles. And as you stated things are crammed in the engine compartment. Defiantly do not try it without a manual. Older cars are easy, but you may have to remove the radiator and the shroud to get to fan bolts. $215 to $230 sounds fair, it is at least a 2 to 4 hour job on most cars. And labor rates are $40 to $100 an hour.

If you get in over your head, then you have added tow bill to get the jeep to the shop. If money is a problem check to see if your local high school has a vocational shop. Then labor will be free or close to it.

I was just going to say what walking wolf said. When I am strapped I go to the local community college's mechanics. The price is very low but sometimes it takes them a long time to do the work.

Once I had a car accident that really screwed the front end. I ended up getting a new car. But, I took the wrecked car to the local vo tech and told them I'd pay for parts. They had it for the entire school year and it cost me $400. But a total wreck was returned to me in pristine condition with a new paint job!
big_smile.png

The car would have been a total loss, when I got it back it looked and ran better than it had before the accident.

We did the water pump on our 2005 Jeep Liberty. We have a Repair business in the family and were able to use a bay though.

The big thing was getting the Fan off and on. Takes a special tool. And was a PITA.

The water pump itself was easy. Couple of bolts and done.

If you're not handy with car mechanics have a pro do it.

I'm saying this and I grew up around a car repair business.

typically autozone will let you borrow those special parts...you pay for it but then you take it back and they give your money back...most autozones are fairly helpful...if you gotta remove radiator and such let someone else do it...too many darn bolts and lifting

Back
Top Bottom