Medical advice , Please!

Creekbank

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 30, 2014
Northeast Indiana
OK, I have about 65 chickens. I have 15 Isa Browns that are 15/16 months old that I've had 8 months and I used to get 13-15 eggs per day, even thru the cold winter. I was feeding layer crumbles from a hanging feeder and had a lot of waste. What they would knock out on the floor was never eaten. I switched to pellet feed in a trough feeder and they did not like it! About that time, my egg count dropped to 6/8 per day. I went back to crumbles about 2/3 weeks ago and the birds are eating well, but the egg count is still low.
ALSO, I have another 35 or so young white Leghorns and Isa Browns that are 16 to 20 weeks old that are just starting to lay (about 6/8 eggs per day.) of the 25 Leghorn chicks that I raised, I've had 4 that actually went goofy. Acting lethargic, stumbling, staggering and falling over when they walked. These 4 birds I put down.
Any advice or thoughts on my two issues? I have never medicated or wormed by birds.
Thanks!

After about a year of age the egg production of chickens begins to slow. It may also slow in hot weather, due to molting, or because of a change or stress.

Staggering can be a symptom of nutritional deficiency, marek's, and over-heating.

I hope your birds stay healthy. Best of luck!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom