Empty crop

Carol1463

Chirping
May 11, 2020
Tulsa Oklahoma
Had an Easteregger about 9 months old . Laying eggs regularly. Then stopped . But of course acted normal . But has always been reserved & picky about her feed . Won't eat meal worms , etc . I feed the hand mixed grains( rolled oats , wheat, cracked corn. Mike, millet & fish meal ) . my old hens & new ones when got off grower . All went well . Now Easteregger has empty crop. Tried sour croptreatment , tried olive oil impacted treatment . No luck . She wanted to eat crumbles soaked in water . Then stopped . Drank some water . I also gave her water with ACV
Syringe. To try to hydrate . She died . ( I was careful not to cause aspirate . Took 2 weeks to die ! Now her flock mate has same issue & I went had pulled an old hen 3 yr old . Same empty crop in mid afternoon . We have grandpa feeder . So feed is available all the time along with hanging feeder, but we just put crumbles in hanger for supplement... fresh water at all times right now. I put probiotics in it, thinking that may help other one has plain water in it. I hade apple cider vinegar for 3 days in the other water container until today . They seem to do well with both of them. But now going to loose some more it seems . I don't see worms . But maybe they have worms .🤷‍♀️ Feathers look real good their comb seems to be shrinking the sick ones. Any ideas

Do you have photos of the hens and their poop?

I'd omit the hand mixed grains for the time being and offer crumbles free choice.

Look at your feed (and the grains you have made) is anything rancid, moldy or old?

Provide fresh clean water daily, check the crops when they go to roost to see if the hens have filled up on food, then check again first thing in the morning to see if the crops are empty.

Do you provide grit (crushed granite) for your hens?

If vet care is an option, take a few samples of poop to your vet for a fecal float to rule out worms, usually you don't see worms in the poop.

If you lose another one, send the body to your state lab for necropsy, this will give you information as to the cause of decline. https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

Back
Top Bottom