Medicated chick starter and ducklings?

BlueHorse17

Free Ranging
8 Years
Mar 20, 2015
USA
My Coop
My Coop
So I just read it’s bad to give ducklings medicated chick starter because they can overdose on it. I bought two 40lb bags of it. Ugh! Should I get regular chick starter ASAP? They all seem fine but they’ve also only been eating it for about two days. Thoughts?

The coccidat (amprolium) found in most medicated chick feeds is fine for ducklings.
What you read is simply a myth spread around.
Using chick feed, I would be more so concerned about the lack of niacin found in chick feeds. Consider adding a niacin source to their feed if you wish to feed the chick feed.

The coccidat (amprolium) found in most medicated chick feeds is fine for ducklings.
What you read is simply a myth spread around.
Using chick feed, I would be more so concerned about the lack of niacin found in chick feeds. Consider adding a niacin source to their feed if you wish to feed the chick feed.
Whew! Good to know it’s just a myth. I was worried because I asked other duck owners in person and they said it was bad as well. Wonder what started the myth?

I haven't many choices here for feed so I have to use chick starter/grower and I use Nutritional yeast sprinkled over top 1 Tab per cup of feed. Never had any trouble with my Muscovy having leg issues. NY is a good source of niacin. But if you notice a shakey leg or lameness then you need liquid B complex TSC. If you let your mama and ducklings forage she will show them what they need.

I haven't many choices here for feed so I have to use chick starter/grower and I use Nutritional yeast sprinkled over top 1 Tab per cup of feed. Never had any trouble with my Muscovy having leg issues. NY is a good source of niacin. But if you notice a shakey leg or lameness then you need liquid B complex TSC. If you let your mama and ducklings forage she will show them what they need.
I incubated these guys so unfortunately they don’t have a forage mama. I’ll look into getting the yeast for now so I can at least use up the chick starter. How does niacin contribute to ducks? Does a lack of it cause they immune systems to shut down?

Niacin is so good for their legs it helps them become strong. Chickens don't need as much so when we haven't a choice of what to feed then we have to supplement. I have a mixed flock so I can't feed just feed for waterfowl anyway. My birds are all adults except my chicks and they still get NY in their feed a couple of times a week just because it's so good for them and us to actually.

this will help explain it much better than I.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Just be sure it's Nutritional yeast and not baker's yeast.

Niacin is so good for their legs it helps them become strong. Chickens don't need as much so when we haven't a choice of what to feed then we have to supplement. I have a mixed flock so I can't feed just feed for waterfowl anyway. My birds are all adults except my chicks and they still get NY in their feed a couple of times a week just because it's so good for them and us to actually.

this will help explain it much better than I.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

Just be sure it's Nutritional yeast and not baker's yeast.
Great information! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom