Medicated feed?

CountryFried

Songster
9 Years
Mar 6, 2010
SE AL
Visited a mill today, and they offer two 28% quail feeds. One isn't medicated and one is medicated with Monensin. It says recommended for the prevention of cocci in growing Bobwhites. I plan to get either James Marie or Texas A&M eggs in the next couple weeks. Which would be the better food, and if the medicated, what is the withdrawal time for meat and/or eggs?

Ooh, lucky!

This is one I'm always kind of scared to touch with a 10 foot pole as everyone feels differently and strongly.

I'm not a fan of medicating preventatively with pretty much anything, but the reasons have more to do with the impact on the general surrounding microbial populations than the actual effect on the birds well being.

I'd vote for the non medicated.

Do you have other birds and are you planning on raising your quail on the ground?

What is the brand name of feed that you looked at with the Monensin in it?

http://www.poultrymed.com/Monensin

I have keets, goslings, and ducklings. Will have chicks in mid-June (4H). Another kid wants pheasants, I think those will wait until next year. I do not plan to raise the quail on the ground at this point. Much as I would love to, I read a few things that make me leery of doing it.

There is no brand name on the tag I took a picture of. It says M.B. Quail Premix, active drug ingredient is 1123mg/l Monensin Sodium. Will post pictures in other thread from my phone that @paneubert linked. The gentleman at the mill said it's a premix they add to their stuff (soybean meal maybe?)

Your question piqued my interest as well due to a recent "OMG.....medicated feed killed my entire family" thread. Figure that might be why @Texas Kiki is curious as well. Haha.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...cken-feed-may-be-poisonous-for-horses.297969/

AACK, started reading that, now I have to go post this pic of the tag.

I am deathly allergic to horses, so none now or ever. Ruminants and pigs are in the future, though.

@CountryFried Just put the amount of effort it would take into keeping your other critters out of the medicated feed into keeping the quail's poop out of their water (easier said than done) and you will be fine with the regular.

Noted. I'll use an old mobile home for scary feed storage! Planning on rabbit water bottles for the quail....good or bad idea?

Noted. I'll use an old mobile home for scary feed storage! Planning on rabbit water bottles for the quail....good or bad idea?

Some people swear by it, especially if you get them used to it as chicks. I personally haven't tried it but am fascinated. :confused: They are so talented at getting poop in everything. If you haven't already bought other waterers, which is the trap I have fallen in, I say go for it.

Back
Top Bottom