De-Worming Product Recommendations

Ronnie_

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
Hi there!
First in foremost my ladies are not showing signs of worms. I am coming up on 6 months they’ve been outside and want to start my first de-worming preventatively(2x year plan).
I don’t have a vet for my ladies to get a script for Flubenvet, and they already get ACV in their water, food grade DE in the feed mix with oregano, thyme, and crushed red pepper flakes.

I’m looking for actual medicated treatment that I don’t have to ideally provide directly into their mouths through syringe as I’m nervous to do that and they are skittish (preferably over food or in water) and something that I could get from the farm store (TSC) without a vet script. I’m okay with a withdrawal period from eating their eggs just to ensure they are in good shape. They eat so many earthworms/slugs and hike foraging so I’m sure it’s bound to happen one day best to get ahead of it.

I’m just not sure what to get/dosages. I have 1 Cayuga and 2 Campbells.

Pic for duck tax.

Attachments

• 5FFFB64E-F98F-4F0B-9A75-1713BF3CD4E3.jpeg
    5FFFB64E-F98F-4F0B-9A75-1713BF3CD4E3.jpeg
    821.4 KB · Views: 69
ACV in their water, food grade DE in the feed mix with oregano, thyme, and crushed red pepper flakes.
None of these will do anything for worms, the DE can cause respiratory issues in birds and red pepper flakes can be harmful in large amounts .
Most meds can be mixed into a treat so they get a complete dose.
Most people use Valbzen goat wormer, I've never heard that it can't be used for ducks.

i’ve had ducks 8 years ( who also eats a lot of slugs and other worms) and never had a problem with worms. but then this year the vet said my dog had giardia so i used safeguard goat dewormer 5 days dosage on everybody in the yard including ducks and chickens and geese.
i wouldn’t put ducks on a preventative wormer… maybe chickens but not ducks. i don’t think it’s necessary.

You don't need a prescription for many of the products that will deal with worms in chickens. What you may find, depending on your location, is the correct product is off label or designated for another type of creature.
Here are a few suggestions.
Any flubendazole product. Once you have found a product return to the thread and ask about dosages if it is not clear on the instructions.
Safeguard. Often found by searching for goat wormers in the USA I think.
Panacure. Pretty much world wide but again, often off label for chickens.
Fenbendazole. Various farm animals.

Some come in pastes, some in powders, some in liquids. It's the active ingredient one needs to search for rather than chicken wormer.

@Miss Lydia uses a natural dewormer and preventative for her ducks.
I would also like to mention there is a company that will do a mail in fecal test for your ducks called PET home tests .
I sent them samples of my Geese droppings and samples of my duck droppings and they all came back negative for any worms and also negative for Giardia but I still treated them anyway since my dog supposedly had it although she wasn’t showing any symptoms and I 💯 percent do not trust the vet that I took my dog to. It’s a long story, but I have since switched dog vets

I have been using Mollys herbals for probably 5 yrs. I like the product but the price is not good they have gone from 1 pound to half pound same price so I will switch back to safe guard for goats since I really only need to worm my chickens. It’s expensive too but what isn’t now days? I worm 3 x a year. With Safe guard unless I see round worms.

@Miss Lydia uses a natural dewormer and preventative for her ducks.
I would also like to mention there is a company that will do a mail in fecal test for your ducks called PET home tests .
I sent them samples of my Geese droppings and samples of my duck droppings and they all came back negative for any worms and also negative for Giardia but I still treated them anyway since my dog supposedly had it although she wasn’t showing any symptoms and I 💯 percent do not trust the vet that I took my dog to. It’s a long story, but I have since switched dog vets
Thank you for the info!

I have been using Mollys herbals for probably 5 yrs. I like the product but the price is not good they have gone from 1 pound to half pound same price so I will switch back to safe guard for goats since I really only need to worm my chickens. It’s expensive too but what isn’t now days? I worm 3 x a year. With Safe guard unless I see round worms.
I only have 3 ducks right now, is there an egg withdrawal period for Molly’s? I might order it then for use and safeguard (keep this just to have it stocked in case I see actual wormy droppings).

What do you usually dose for safeguard? Do you just drench it over a treat?

None of these will do anything for worms, the DE can cause respiratory issues in birds and red pepper flakes can be harmful in large amounts .
Most people use Valbzen goat wormer, I've never heard that it can't be used for ducks.
Thanks for the info, my gals only get 1 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes in their daily fold ration a day. I know DE is controversial. But we use food grade and safe handling procedures - our girls are not around when we are putting in in food ( 2% of the total feed weight in DE) and we ourself wear masks until it settles. We’re careful to buy only food grade as it’s amorphous silica with a 1% or less crystalline silica(this is the kind that sticks to lungs when breathed in- for people too). The DE is more for external pest avoidance measures.
Most people use Valbzen goat wormer, I've never heard that it can't be used for

Back
Top Bottom