1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

medicated feed

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pheasantman, Feb 24, 2015.

1. pheasantman

pheasantman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2014
    I have 20 bantam chicks arriving in a couple weeks. Should I feed the medicated chick starter and also give the medicated water, or just the medicated chick feed and plain water? Thanks!!

2. white guinea333

white guinea333 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2014
    Do only one or the other because of the risk of over medicating them.

3. jennyg

jennyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Haleiwa, HI
    Medicated chick feed. They need it at the beginning. Plain water and change daily.
    I switched mine to organic layer pellets at 16 weeks
    Also scratch is not feed, it is a snack

4. AlwaysForever

AlwaysForever Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2015
    We didn't use any medicated anything. Everyone has their reasons and does it differently. Research as best as you can and enjoy your birds.

5. jennyg

jennyg Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2014
    Haleiwa, HI
    Can I ask what you feed if it isn't medicated? I buy chick starter from the local feed store and it is medicated, they do t even have a different option

6. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    The medicated chick starter has amprolium, which is not an antibiotic, and helps the chicks develop resistance to coccidia gradually rather than becoming ill from that parasite. Flock Raiser is an unmedicated alternative, if you feel lucky about exposure to coccidia on your ground. I've fed both ways here, and have been lucky so far. That's not a recommendation, because trying to treat very sick dying chicks is not better. Mary

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Also, amprolium in feed is approved for certified organic operations, just so you know. Mary

8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Coccidia is in all soils. So chicks will eventually be exposed to it. Amprolium blocks thiamine uptake, so the organism won't replicate. My preference is to start my chicks on un-medicated feed, and then give them some sod within the first 2 weeks of hatching so they can start developing resistance early. They also get fermented feed which is loaded with pro-biotics, to help them develop a good flora balance in their guts. I can't get un-medicated starter here from my favorite feed store. In fact, the employees will go so far as to tell me that I have to have the medicated feed, or all of my chicks will die. I've never had issues with coccidiosis in my chicks, never used medicated feed. They do well on multi-flock starter, which is higher protein anyways!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by