Medicated vs NON-Medicated

ChickFlick99

Hatching
Jan 27, 2015
Hi, I am doing an expirement on the weight gains and overall health of chickens on Mediated and NON-Medicated poultry feed, and I need some other opinions on if anyone has noticed a big difference in the growth of the chickens. Thanks!

The correct way to do this experiment would be to use a non-medicated feed on both sets of birds and medicate the water of the medicated birds.This way both sets of chicks get the exact same feed out of the exact same bag.

You can get Amprolium in a powder forum that you add to water.
Amprolium mimics thiamin (Vitamin B1) which is required by coccidia for normal growth and reproduction.

Medicated is the right word - what needs to happen is people need to stop thinking that modern medicine is some sort of evil conspiracy to make things sick. It's nuts.

I haven't been able to find any studies on this where the birds weren't intentionally infected with coccidiosis - I'd assume you'd see no difference except in the case of heavy cocci loads, where the medicated birds are going to do much better.

Medicated is the right word - what needs to happen is people need to stop thinking that modern medicine is some sort of evil conspiracy to make things sick. It's nuts.
IMO people seem to naturally equate medicated with antibiotics.

Hi! I finished my experiment and my results were that the chicks on the NON-Medicated feed grew more faster than the chicks on the medicated feed. I think it was because of the higher amount of Lysine and Methionine in the NON-medicated feed I used. Do you think it was because of that of something else.
hmm.png

Likely from the synthetic lysine and methionine. Both are critical amino acids for growth.

It would be good to do the test again with the same feed, one medicated and one not. Like Purina Start & Grow. It's the same feed but one has amprolium.

Around here medicated feed tends to be 18% protein while the non medicated runs 20 to 22%. With that difference there is a definite difference in weight gain. you might have to match protein levels to get better results with your test.

I agree. They'll have to be identical feeds except for the addition of the thiamine blocker. Otherwise the results will be meaningless.
I also agree that if you have identical feeds, you're not likely to see a difference.

Back
Top Bottom