Medicating twice for cocci?

Sunny Side Up

Count your many blessings...
11 Years
Mar 12, 2008
Loxahatchee, Florida
I've already dosed my chicks with Sulmet for cocci when they were about 4-5 weeks old. I did it after noticing blood spots in their poop. After medicating, there wasn't any more blood to be found in their poop. But a few weeks later I added a few more chicks to the group, and yesterday noticed a bloody poop. I started again today adding Sulmet to the communal water fount, plan to follow the recommended dose for the next 5 days.

What do you think about that?

I would now do Corid (Amprolium) rather than Sulmet. Sulfa drugs can continue intestinal bleeding as they are very hard on the system. And give them active culture yogurt to restore their gut flora. I sympathize, I really do. I've had a time with cocci this year in my youngsters. Bad stuff in my soil.

Last edited:
I agree with speckledhen re. going to Amprolium, and there is a second good reason to do this: rotating your drugs prevents the cocci from building immunity to one particular drug,

My Amprolium is 9.6% ~ mix 9.5 cc (ml) in one gallon of water, and give for 5 - 7 days.

If anyone else uses a different dosage, I would welcome hearing about it.

When dosing with the stuff do I have to toss the eggs or will they still be OK to use? I'm allergic to sulfa drugs and a ton of other things and I worry about getting the antibiotics in the eggs. Also, DS sells eggs, so I'm wondering if we should stop for awhile.

Yes, if you are treating laying hens with Sulmet, I'd stop eating them for at least two weeks after the treatment stops, just to be safe. I myself have an egg customer with a heart condition and cannot dose any of my layers with any antibiotics, so I understand where you're coming from.

Quote:
I've not heard of this, is it a liquid or powder? Is it commonly sold at most feed stores? Is Corid the brand name, Amprolium the name of the active ingredient?

I just finished day 2 of the Sulmet, ya think I should continue as recommended for the next 4 days? Give them the yogurt afterwards? Try the Corid if I find it & also find more blood in the poo?

This is for a batch of 46 chicks. They all are looking/acting fine, and there's not much blood in the poo. Just at least one that I've noticed leaving a very scary bright red bloody poop 2 mornings recently.

If I could identify that chick I'd separate it, otherwise I'll have to treat the whole flock.

Corid (by Merial) is a brand name for the drug Amprolium. To my knowledge it comes in two forms - (1) medicated feed, and (2) liquid that is added to water.

The Amprolium I bought from First State Vet Supply online under the name "Amprol." You could call your feed store and ask; I imagine the bigger co-ops would carry it.

You may want to consult someone with more expertise re. changing meds in mid-stream; with my own experience I would stay the course once I started it, and just buy the Amprol for next time. I hope others will chime in on this.

Good luck. Please let us know how things progress.

I gave them their 3rd dose this morning, have 3 more days to go. They spend the night in a big wire cage that I line with newspaper to keep the poo from glopping onto the wire bottom. I don't notice any bloody poos on the paper. Think there was one in the pen when I let them in this morning, but more orange-y, not as bright screaming red like the other mornings.

I don't know if I'm over-reacting to re-medicate them just because of that one bloody poop. But I want to play it safe, want them all to grow up especially nice & big & healthy because they're going to be shown at our county fair in Jan, and hopefully sold after that.

Do you think that after this I should switch to medicated chick starter? I've been giving them Flock Raiser because I also have 5 young ducks to feed at this same time. The ducks would take too long to go through a 50# bag of F.R, so they share with the chicks. Perhaps I could get some medicated chick starter & mix it with the F.R. for the chicks.

I appreciate your imput. Thank you!

I'd like to know more about this so I'm bumping!
I also wonder if when giving them the sulmet do you leave the waterer in there with them or just give them a little by dipping their beak or using a suringe and then giving normal water again? I have one fighting right now...I'd like to know what else I can do for her, will yogert help? Or sugar water? She's very lethargic but I've seen her eat.
Sorry, I don't mean to hijack the thred.

Back
Top Bottom