1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Medication and egg eating....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by savingpurple, Aug 16, 2011.

1. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I am doing my best to save and heal my hen. She has some leg injury, and from the advice I have been given on here, I have her on Duramyicin for about a week. Now, she is not laying yet, but IF, she does, can the eggs be eaten? She is in a crate, confined to help rest her leg. She looked today like she was making a nest and has been alot more vocal today too. Her, and another hen are the only 2 that are not laying, and the one in the coop laid her first (soft shell) last night. So the injured one might be getting ready too.

Just wondering:) Thanks in advance !!

2. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    anyone?

3. Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Central Ohio
    bump - I have the very same question - my assumption is no, you should not eat the eggs, but I wonder for how long?

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    The package says not to use in hens laying for human consumption. I think they say that to be safe.

BUT, Duramycin is just Tetracycline, which is safe to use in humans. I personally am not allergic to tetracycline and would eat those eggs knowing the amount of antibiotic in the eggs is way less than what I would take orally for an infection.

5. savingpurple

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Thanks [​IMG] I will then IF she lays...she is so much better it's amazing !!

6. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    YW. I have just used some Duramycin on some young silkies I just got. One with an upper respiratory infection. Cleared it right up in about a week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by