Medications/supplies to have on hand

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Adams Family Farm, Jun 6, 2010.

1. Adams Family Farm

Adams Family Farm New Egg

Mar 30, 2010
    I'm relatively new to chickens (three years). As I read different posts, I see medications and supplies (oils, salves, etc) that people use. What meds/supplies should I have on hand for when I have a sick bird? And where do I get them? Catalog/online chicken supply sites? I shouldn't wait till I have a problem and then try to locate a drug that takes a few days to be shipped. I should already have remedies here.
  2. VettekLisa

VettekLisa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2008
    Hale, Missouri
    I have a toolbox that I put some supplies in for emergencies/trips to the show.

I have Polyvisol infant vitamins, peroxide, alchohol, vaseline, animal and human
    toenail trimmers, Q-tips, cotton balls, betadine scrub and solution, Bactrim antibiotics,
    first aid cream, a set of hobby exacto knives, some syringes for medicating.
    I always keep olive oil and honey around the house, and when I go on trips with
    the birds I will take small containers of both with me.

A lot of people say to keep Tylan on hand also. I found that I like the oral Bactrim
    better, but I do have links saved where I can get other antibiotics shipped overnight
    if I have to. Plus my local feed store carries the vaccines and penicillin injectable.
  3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

4. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    A very large syringe and some saline solution for flushing out wounds. And, for securing a dressing & bandage even when birdie goes back outside, Vet Wrap is the hands-down best.

ETA: by the way, I don't keep a lot of injectables & medications on hand. rather, I keep a list of feedstores and phone numbers, with details about which store keeps which meds in stock. then again, my flock is small.
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by