Medicine advice for hen

JensChickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2014
California
Good morning BYC! So I have a 4 yo hen that I noticed is having trouble breathing. It's not extremely labored, but its noticeable. She is currently on metronidazole for what I believe is canker. I dosed her with baytril 10%, but it's a year expired. I went to grab my Tylan, but it too is expired (3 years). I live in the great state of California and apparently I cant get it anymore without an RX. What else can I give her??

She shows no signs of upper respiratory problems. She had a nasty odor and yellow cheese plaques in her mouth so I assumed canker and started 250 metronidazole 2 days ago. Last night I noticed her lung crackles.

Any suggestions for medice??
@dawg53 @casportpony
You guys have helped me so much in the past and have kept my hens alive with your advice. What would you guys recommend??

Canker can spread into the esophagus and expand, eventually closing off the windpipe. This might be the "crackling" you're hearing. It can also spread into the crop, gizzard and liver. Increase metronidazole 250mg to twice a day for no more than 5-7 days.
Birds with canker will be carriers for life and it is spread via waterers to other birds.
Waterers can be sanitized with a bleach water solution.
Acidified copper sulfate will keep it in check. Dosage is 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water once a month for 3 days straight, make it fresh daily.
https://www.jefferspet.com/products/acidified-copper-sulfate-1

Amoxicillin is better for bacterial infections, respiratory is often viral, and antibiotics won't help. They can help with symptoms or secondary infections, just depends on what respiratory issue you are dealing with. Tylan is usually the recommendation.
Jedds (where the enrofloxacin is sold) also carries doxycycline and tylosin products, perhaps they will ship to CA:
https://www.jedds.com/product-category/pigeon/medicine/respiratory/

Hi! Thank you for the reply. I have ordered the baytril already so hopefully it will be here soon. I cant order Tylan cuz they wont ship to California now...super frustrating. All I have on hand (that's not expired) is amoxicillin, but im not sure if that does anything for respiratory. Does it?

No, let the metronidazole do it's job...patience. It's not going to disappear over night.
The copper sulfate is a monthly preventative. Hopefully the canker will have cleared up and tubing wont be necessary by then.

Has there been some sort of hold up in your receiving the Baytril you ordered? Many online sources have dried up lately for Tylan 50, 200, as well as the tylosin powder for pigeons. Have you ever had a state vet necropsy done before after losing a bird? I hope it doesn’t come to that, but the reports that some people have posted here can be very enlightening. I don’t know your location which can be added to your profile page, but in some states, a necropsy can be affordable if you ask about one for a backyard bird.

Yes! I ordered the baytril last week and the All bird products store where I ordered it from was closed. It finally shipped today.
I cant get my hands on tylan anymore because I live in California and apparently places wont ship to California without a vet RX...lucky us.
I live right by UC davis. If I have to have her put down, I will have them do it and have a necropsy done. Makes me sad that that is an absolute reality because I hate to loose my animals to sickness.

Yes! I ordered the baytril last week and the All bird products store where I ordered it from was closed. It finally shipped today.
I cant get my hands on tylan anymore because I live in California and apparently places wont ship to California without a vet RX...lucky us.
I live right by UC davis. If I have to have her put down, I will have them do it and have a necropsy done. Makes me sad that that is an absolute reality because I hate to loose my animals to sickness.
Was there a happy ending to your Story?

Back
Top Bottom