meet our new rescue horse, "Big Daddy" (update post 22)

What a strapping big guy he is! I have to say, you've broken most rules, first time horse owners rarely go for something so large and intimidating! He looks like he's a very good boy. He's lucky to have found a loving home. You did good giving this guy a place to call home forever.
smile.png
Congratulations!

This morning I got up at 5:30 to go check on Big Daddy (this is from a lady that normally sleeps till 8) and he had eaten every scrap of hay and drunk every bit of water in his box - he must have been up all night eating! :-o

I decided to let him out to the tiny pasture adjacent to the stables so I could muck out his stall and refill his goodies, that way he would have 15 minutes of fresh green grass for breakfast. He followed me very easily and went crazy on the greens so I left him there to tend to the cleaning. A few minutes later I couldn't see him anymore, so went out to check - stupid me had forgotten to close the fence between paddocks and he had gone off wandering and exploring, he was quite a bit far off too!

I was afraid he'd bolt if I ran after him or worse, get into trouble with our two resident horses who could see him now from the 3rd paddock... I called out to him "Big Daddy! Come here! Good boy!" - and the most amazing thing happened. His head perked up and he started trotting full speed towards me!! I kept encouraging him and he came right up to me with a look of relief on his face - "mom! i was lost! i found you!" and I clipped on his lead and brought him back inside - whew, disaster averted!

So I learned my lesson to secure the premises AND it's official, this horse has adopted me.

Once back in his box, I gave him a good deep scratch on the chest and front of neck with a rubber brush and he did the neck stretch, sighed with contentment and then laid his head on the crook of my shoulder and breathed in my neck.

I am in love.

Quote:
Yes, we'll probably start breaking him in by next spring/summer.

First he needs to get strong, healthy and trusting of his new family and then we'll take it one step at a time
smile.png

Sooo sweet!
love.gif
hit.gif
Sounds like you've got the "trust thing" down, already!
wink.png
Don't you love the neck hugs? DH has a rescued Thoroughbred and he does what I call "Giraffe Hugs"- just wraps my whole body up with his neck and presses me against his side and holds me while I rub his face.

Sounds like he really enjoys your company. Even just sitting outside reading a book while he's grazing, will be comforting to him. Mine enjoy watching us garden, swim, and looking in the windows at us!

Keep doing what you're doing!
thumbsup.gif

Shelly

Did the rescue offer to assist you with information on how to safely put weight on? He will probably have a lot of specific needs as you work to put the weight back on.

Remember: he didn't get this way overnight, and he can't/shouldn't be fattened up too quickly.

Slow and steady weight gain...

I have two draft horses (Norwegian Fjords)...great minds & GREAT bellies!!!

Do you have some experience with horses? If not - ask TONS of questions to people you know you can trust. No question is dumb when one is handling an animal that has a mind of its own and it weighs a ton. Literally. And a lot of times, when horses come in extremely malnourished like your handsome man, they aren't really themselves - they don't have a lot of energy to spare - they are just using all thier energy to stay alive.

When they start feeling better, you'll see their personality blossom - and they may have more energy than you anticipated. Spend this time (while he's a little subdued) being consistant and firm with ground mannners and your personal space. Don't not discipline him because you feel bad for his prior circumstances - that's a mistake. Be kind, but firm and consistant. Don't let him pull you or push you. Don't let him crowd you - especially around feed time. NO TREATS by hand...don't do it. Listen to me now, or believe me later. A treat dropped into a bucket is no less appreciated than one given by hand.

There is so much to learn - but you have done a good thing....a very good thing.

If you're interested, pm me and I'll give you my cell number in case you need more info - I'm glad to help.

I can't imagine what he looked like 4 months ago. That had to be a horror story. Kelly G's advice is right on the money. It's a grand thing that you have done. I can only hope that the others were as lucky.

Quote:
I agree with this.....it is true not only for draft horses but pretty much in ALL equine species. Had a Paso Fino gelding whose body was a 1 and he was a honeybun, such sweet personality...once he filled out, he was goreous but studly in his behavior (he was gelded late because they did not like the way his offsprings looked) and got a mind of his own LOL and a great horse to ride. He got the nerves of steel when we took hiim to an reeanctment with all the cannons and guns going off, he was not fazed by it all. A few years later, I sold him.

A firm hand, kind attitude and again, read that Kelly's advice over and over...it would be better for you and beautiful Big Daddy! Do get her phone number in case you have any questions about draft horses. Personally I love the Shires and Clydesdales.

Back
Top Bottom