meet our new rescue horse, "Big Daddy" (update post 22)

You are awesome people - this will surely be a horse that repays your kindness 1000-fold.
thumbsup.gif

What a beautiful, handsome boy! I do not know how you were able to stand strong and not bring all of horses home with you! My husband should thank his stars that it was not me going to look at the horses.
wink.png

Quote:
That was beautiful, I'm tearing up!!!

Me too! gosh! Thanks so much everyone!

He's only been here a few hours and is already at home... after one handful of fresh grass that was it, he's all lovins! He steps aside when we go into his box to clean up, he's a cadillac - never seen anything like it... he's been introduced to carrots and yep, he definitely loves being spoiled! Tonight, DH and I were telling him goodnight and he put down his head for us to scratch him on the forehead - we teared up, it was such a MOMENT!!

He's the first horse I ever met that I am not one bit afraid of... holy cow.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/technodoll/DSC_0005_resize.jpg

Looks like he could whip you around like a rag doll your so short and small or he is so big and tall either way a lot of horse to handle. I'm glad he is in a better home and will have some groceries and feet done.

Quote:
LOL well that's not me, that's the lady whom I hired to transport him to our place... I was too busy taking pics at that point
smile.png

But yes, I'm 5'5" and 120 lbs so not much bigger. Ahem.

Mind over matter... He already respects us as alphas so we should have no problems with him. His confidence needs to be rebuilt from scratch but we have all the time in the world. We didn't adopt him for riding as a main purpose so we might break him in next summer or we might not... right now he gets to rest, eat, rest and eat some more, get shoed, brushed, coddled and shown what love and kindness are
smile.png

I have to say this is the first "horse" story I have read that is making me want to get a horse! He is gorgeous and you and he are so so lucky..Congrats I have the property but don't know the first thing about horses-chickens yes and Ive had them for only 3 years so we'll see how things go in 2 more years about the horses haha
wink.png

He will be stunning! Belgians are the gentle giants of the horse world. ..so honest and sweet.. most of them anyway. I remember going to a horse pull when I was about 10. I saw this girl about the same age and she was cantering across a field bareback with a halter and lead chain. And, he was a stallion!!!! just beautiful. Im a big girl.. very tall and meaty
big_smile.png
I always knew one day my horse would be either a beligium or a warmblood cross of some sort.... They have a way or really making you feel like a dainty little woman
lol.png

Good Luck with him

Last edited:
Standing there in the small herd, dwarfed and in awe, this gentle giant came up from behind and nudged my hand with his soft muzzle, stepped back and when I turned around I was met by the saddest eyes on earth... My heart just broke and melted right then and there.

That's beautiful! He is going to be handsome as he heals. Belgians are indeed gentle giants. My husband had one for many years. The kids would climb into the back of a pickup and the horse would walk over to the side and let them climb on.
Enjoy him! I know he will enjoy being there.​

Congrats on the new guy! He looks like he'll be a real stunner with a 100% chance of recovery. I love seeing abused/neglected horses placed in new homes with a new lease on life. They always have that 'GAWD I'M SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW, I COULD EXPLODE' look to them.

I got two ex-rescues currently, one I rescued myself, Sammy, just got back into the saddle with him. He's a TWHxBelgian (I think). And Lil' Miss No Name, who was rehabilitated and re-trained before I bought her. Both had a body score of 1 when rescued. Sam's now a 6.5 BCS and NoNamer is a straight 5, just putting on those few minor fill-out pounds.

That guy is just BEAUTIFUL! If he wasn't so big, I'd talk you outta him
lol.png
Once he's evaluated for training, your required to buy a buggy and go for a ride
tongue.png

I can't wait to see more photos. You better be taking lots (I mean it) and keeping us updated!

Congrats on finding your lost family member!

I will say, he is most beautiful!!!
love.gif
Belgian's are my most favorite horse of all!
thumbsup.gif
So wonderful of you to take him in, bless you.
hugs.gif
He looks to be so sweet. You are soooo lucky, and so is he!! Enjoy that big, gorgeous guy.

Back
Top Bottom