Meet Pepper and Poppy

Bronx girls

Songster
7 Years
Jul 10, 2016
Hi all!! My husband just came home with these 2 babies! they already love to be held I think they are Plymouth/Barred Rock? which I have never had they are 2 weeks old any tips for the first night they are chirping away
20230527_165158.jpg

Hi all!! My husband just came home with these 2 babies! they already love to be held I think they are Plymouth/Barred Rock? which I have never had they are 2 weeks old any tips for the first night they are chirping away
View attachment 3520329
Oh so sweet! :loveYou might want to put them in a bigger box. Put a heat lamp over the box so they will be able to keep warm, which is necessary for chicks and get some chick crumbles for their feed. They will probably quiet down at night when they like to sleep. Also chicks at that age like to sleep in a pile at night for warmth and comfort. Barred Plymouth Rocks are so sweet and love to be cuddled! Keep an eye out for first dust bathing... you may be worried at first because it may look like they are having a seizure or something but its absolutely normal! :gigChicks at this age also like to take lots of naps so don't be alarmed if they look like they may be dead. 😂Pepper and Poppy are adorable names and they look so cute!!! Your going to be a great Chick Momma! 💚

Oh so sweet! :loveYou might want to put them in a bigger box. Put a heat lamp over the box so they will be able to keep warm, which is necessary for chicks and get some chick crumbles for their feed. They will probably quiet down at night when they like to sleep. Also chicks at that age like to sleep in a pile at night for warmth and comfort. Barred Plymouth Rocks are so sweet and love to be cuddled! Keep an eye out for first dust bathing... you may be worried at first because it may look like they are having a seizure or something but its absolutely normal! :gigChicks at this age also like to take lots of naps so don't be alarmed if they look like they may be dead. 😂Pepper and Poppy are adorable names and they look so cute!!! Your going to be a great Chick Momma! 💚
I transferred them over to a storage box which is bigger and tomorrow they will be transferred to a huge dog create I have they really do love to be cuddled I picked them up and they fell asleep they were trembling would that be because they are cold or just scared?

I transferred them over to a storage box which is bigger and tomorrow they will be transferred to a huge dog create I have they really do love to be cuddled I picked them up and they fell asleep they were trembling would that be because they are cold or just scared?
What type of heat source do you have for them, and how old are they? I absolutely love Barred Rocks!

It may be both. It sounds like what your doing is great! :thumbsup💚

They are 2 weeks old no heat source they slept well inside the house why do you love them iv'e only had RIR and am thrilled to have these babies.
At 2 weeks they usually need a space about 80 degrees to retreat to (heat plates and momma heat pads are good options for inside your home). That might be why they are shivering. The plates start at around $35 on Amazon if you can swing that.

My barred rock is my favorite bird ever. Super friendly, inquisitive, not flighty at all. She is still a cuddle bug. Nosy as all heck. Only downfall is she will jump on your back if you bend over, thinking it’s a good place to sit & take a nap. 😂

At 2 weeks they usually need a space about 80 degrees to retreat to (heat plates and momma heat pads are good options for inside your home). That might be why they are shivering. The plates start at around $35 on Amazon if you can swing that.

My barred rock is my favorite bird ever. Super friendly, inquisitive, not flighty at all. She is still a cuddle bug. Nosy as all heck. Only downfall is she will jump on your back if you bend over, thinking it’s a good place to sit & take a nap. 😂
what are momma heat pads? love that they already love to cuddle sounds like they love their momma lol!!

what are momma heat pads? love that they already love to cuddle sounds like they love their momma lol!!
They are made with a bunch of different things, I’ve seen cookie drying racks used, with a heating pad around them like a cave to go in. There is a thread somewhere under brooding chicks that has lots of ideas on how to make one!

Back
Top Bottom