Melanistic Pheasants

aticiabray

Chirping
7 Years
May 28, 2013
Washington
Hello everyone! I'm not sure if there's already a thread on this or not but I was just posting to ask if any of you who own Melanistic pheasants, can please post pictures of them. Especially the hens. I want to get a sneak peek of what I'm getting. I have two that are starting to get color! Please and thank you!

Thank you! That male is beautiful!
I'm surprised by the females... I thought they'd be more black but they just look like normal Ring Neck hens. They're good looking birds though either way. :)

Wow! Both of your birds are stunning. It seems like there's a lot of variation with the ways the hens can look. I really like the reddish purple on yours. So beautiful!

You'll have to click on the pictures to see the colored plumage...

Do you guys think this one might be a hen? I thought it was a male because it is pretty mean. It hisses and bites and I thought only males hissed. Is that untrue? It is about 6 or 7 weeks old. I was also unsure because it appears to be getting the horns, although the face isn't as bald on this one as it is on the other.

This one is the one that I'm positive is a male. He has a wattle and horns coming in. Also has some pretty impressive spurs already.

Last edited:
Black Mutations. I will have to see if I can find pix of my young chicks. Can't tell on the top photo because of the angle.
I love the mutations becuase they don't seem to be as flighty as regular ringnecks.

If you click it, it should get bigger and it'll help you see it better. Maybe not though.
I'm just having a hard time deciding if the top one is a male or female.
I know for sure the bottom one is a male.
The top one has a bit of a mean streak though...which is why I wasn't sure if it was male or female. Females usually seem so much more tame.

Back
Top Bottom