Memorials

What great stories so far, everyone! Maybe we could write a book together....we had a chicken named Poopybutt,too! Was a hen, thouglh. That's true about the one in a lifetime thing; looking at the roos we have now...I don't think there'll ever be another Whitey...even though we still have his son.

In memory of my special needs chick, Edweena. She was having a hard time hatching out of the shell and I helped her, all seemed okay until she had a major bleed. She should have died right then, but lived. She had heart and lung problems and I could see her neck extend with every breath that she took.

She thrived and grew but was always the runt with a misshapen top knot. The breathing problem did correct itself at about 6 months old. She had no idea she was small and would run circles around the other chickens. She would run to me whenever she saw me and get in my lap if she had a chance. Her favorite thing was to hang out with human visitors and get to swing in the porch swing. Or be on my lap while she was laying on her back....I know weird.

If the other chickens didn't let her get to the waterer, she would get on the top and peck everyone in turn on the head until they left and would hop down and drink.

She lived to be almost a year old. I found her after I had let her out one morning and heard the rooster give a loud shrill. She had died within minutes of going outside. I suspect her body couldn't take the extra stress of laying eggs, but I don't know for sure. She is missed, she was special.
2007bluewc032.jpg
Edweena at 3 months

Last edited:
This is a beautiful thread. I have just started in the chicken obsession and have not had any experiences to add. Not looking forward to any either.
These stories are very good. Even though I have nothing to add I love reading everyone's personal accounts.

OK, I've lost a lot, unfortunately, but we've had quite a few, so I have another. This is about Gimpy. She was a Black Star hen. She turned up lame shortly after we got her, thus the name. We decided to confine her to a small cage to control how much she walked on the leg. She remained there by herself all winter. Despite the fact that she was obviously in pain and must've been lonely (though she could still socialize with the other chickens, they would eventually go away and leave her) she was always cheerful and was delighted to see anyone, making happy noises and stretching to look into her people visitor's faces. When spring came she could walk with only a slight limp, and run, too, so we let her out. She was so happy to be outside and would run to greet us whenever we came to visit; she didn't even care about treats, just wanted someone to talk to. Her limp became worse and we figured the rooster was hurting her in some way, but we left her loose. Then the " Great Predator War of May, 07" came. Still she held her own, but we thought it would be best if we started confining her in a cage at night, because we were having so many unidentified predator attacks. We would put her in there with another hen and things got so bad with many birds being victims that at roosting time they'd be waiting beside their cage, for us to let them in and close the door. We discovered it was coons one night when they got in, pulled the cage down, and were able to kill Gimpy through the bars. They left the other hen (Patty) alone. It must've been terrible for Patty. I felt terrible and we all suffered a lot, because we felt it was our fault she was killed, and if we had just left her alone.... We miss her.

hit.gif
I don't know how much more of this I can take. This thread is really hard but I know it is necessary for all to heal. I guess it really breaks my heart to know my turn will come. These should be published.
hugs.gif

I hope you folks don't mind if I share a memory with you. I confess the main character wasn't really my pet, since I was too little, but I think he deserves mention, anyway.

My parents moved to Maine when I was two. They were city folks before that, and really had their hearts set on a little farm. They free ranged all of our animals (including our pig). We had a flock of 10 turkeys. The birds were still fairly young. Every night something would come and make off with another one of our turkeys. Finally we were down to one.
That bird, too, disappeared one night. It was awful, but I suppose my parents felt the saga was at an end.
Somehow, bloody and beaten, that final turkey returned home. I have no idea how. It had obviously been chewed, but had somehow escaped and found it's way back.

I was too young, and I don't remember what happened to that special turkey. But I think it takes a lot of heart to be that wounded, and still make it home.

Meghan

Last edited:
I love the idea of a "memorials" thread. I am just starting with my chickens and your stories of such loving, close relationships give me hope of what I can hope to achieve with mine. If, anything should happen, with any of my six beautiful chciken babies, I find it comforting to know that there is a place to go with my grief where people will understand. It is my true hope that in my group of six 3 week old Rhode Island Red pullets, there is a "Whitey" and/or a "Cinderelle." I dream of being that close with my chickens. These wonderful creatures that we invite into our lives become family and their antics, their moments of closeness that only we know about, their fierce individuality endear them to us and the idea of losing them is difficult, at best, the actual loss is heartbreaking. I feel for all of you, your stories made me cry. I long to have the close relationship that you have had knowing how sad I will be to say good-bye when that time comes. I will turn to you who know that special joy of sharing your life with such a special creature. My heartfelt condolences to all who have experienced that terrible loss.

With Warm Regards.

ALecia

Can you stand one more Whitey story? I need to let this go, but found myself still crying over him this morning...anyway, I wanted to include this one cause it's funny. We think Whitey had a huge vocabulary. He had a funny errrrk noise he'd make when he was disgusted about something. Last winter much of the flock was sick with a bad virus. We were discussing it in the barn one day in Whitey's presence, and I mentioned the state vet had said we should just cull the whole flock and start over. "Errrrk" from Whitey, accompanied by an evil glare. A short time later, I was telling one of our hens that Whitey had had a favorite hen who died, and that this hen would be his new favorite, I thought. "Errrrrk" from Whitey. Later in the winter a couple of hens contracted another virus which was very contagious. They died, but we have hope that the rest of the flock will be ok. A few days before Whitey died, my son and I were discussing the overall health of the flock, and how fat and healthy they looked, outwardly. I commented " oh, heck, they might all have TB, for all we know"... "Errrrrrk!" from Whitey! Same evil glare. Could he understand us???? I think so!!!!

We will remember Whitey always. He provided a lot of joy and laughter and happy memories, as well as chicks from him that I asked for for Christmas, and he gave me, with the help of a hen!. I will always remember him defending me from another aggressive rooster, lying beside me in the sun, and his awesome personality. Never again will I think of a chicken as stupid. Whitey was ten years old. He died for his friends, and taught his "understudy" roosters to be as brave, polite, and responsible as he was. I hope his son and daughters live as long and will have and continue to pass on some of his awesome qualities.

Thanks, everyone again so far for all these great stories. I hope we can keep this thread going. It would truly make a good book, someday.

Thanks for listening.

Alecia

Wow.......you worded that so beautifully. Sounds to me like you've already begun to experience that one-of-a-kind, lucky-to-have-it sort of relationship with your girls. Only people who truly 'get it' can truly get it.

Luckily, I've not had to lose one of my special girls. There's one in particular that will be especially hard. Can't stand the thought of it, actually.

I've lost many animals during my life, though. Some were pretty special. One was particularly painful. My little peek-a-poo, Patches. He was our "first baby". Losing him was the most difficult of all losses to that point. I'm so fortunate to have been his 'mom'.

Thanks to everybody for sharing these special moments with their babies.

Back
Top Bottom