Merecks?!?!? Help!!!!

Tanichca

Sparkle Magnet
May 6, 2009
Akron, Ohio
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.) Turken, 6 weeks, about 8 oz?
2) What is the behavior, exactly. When she tries to walk, her left leg splays out under her and she flops to the side. She is also lethargic, and sits with her feathers fluffed up, with her leg tucked under her.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since early this morning or late last night.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? One did a week back, but he got shut in a door so I thought he had hurt himself that way. He died.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. Nothing. She was very cold though, this morning.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. It was cold and wet last night, and the babies managed to escape from their coop to huddle on the freezing concrete around our house. In the coop, they have everything they need to keep warm, but they just don't like sleeping in there. Also, this baby was from a backyard breeder, so I'm not sure what diseases run in her flock.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Eating grower and scratch, drinking water.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. VERY runny, yellowish in color, with a few solid lumps.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Wrapped her in a towel and holding her to get her warm again.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Can't afford a vet...
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help. (Stupid Upload link isn't working, I'll try later!)
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Large (over 200 sq. feet) coop. She slept, however, on a concrete block next to our house, with nothing except her hatchmates to keep her warm.

Well, I've dealt with cocci before, and there was never any paralysis.

Baby chick can stand now, isn't as fluffed up. Still isnt putting any weight on that leg.

Back
Top Bottom