Merek's Vaccination?

Never mind, just looked it up. I just don't know how to give the shot. I might be able to find someone who knows how though. Im sure someone in my local poultry 4-H club knows how.

The risk is no higher than with any others. I certainly don't want to discourage you. My kids and I LOVE our bantams...and all our other chickens. We live in a farming community and there are chickens 1/2 mile from us but no closer. I don't know where the disease came from, I'm still trying my hardest to track it. Get your babies..but, do not buy chicks from anywhere but a hatchery or hatch them yourself. That way, you will know that the birds are 'safe'.

It is well worth it. I just feel that it is my responsibility to try and get word out that Marek's is a bigger problem then people want to believe. Had I known, I would never have gotten chicks that weren't vaccinated. Living with this disease is a nightmare. I can't sell chicks, my kids can't show in 4H as planned. Mostly, we just love them and hold our breath hoping that the dying is over. But, we know that it isn't....3 more are showing symptoms. I bleach and oxine everything, all the time. I completely clean out coops/brooders/feeders/waterers with bleach every two weeks for the coops and 3 times per week for waterers. I spray coops with oxine between cleanings...my birds are spotless as are there living quarters..if cleanliness were a factor, my chickens would never have to worry..but, it isn't. I feed them the best of everything that I can...fresh fruit/vegies daily...probiotics, vitamins, mixed grains, fresh red/green lettuce. Marek's doesn't care....

What are the symptoms to look for? I got 2 bantam seabrights 2 weeks ago. The first one laid an egg right away and then followed a 3 days of rest, 1 egg pattern. The other one laid her first egg 48 hours ago and she has been limping, not flying and stumbling ever since. Her feet are also cold to the touch.

Keep an eye on your sebright. Her symptoms are troubling but she may just have hurt herself. Limping and stumbling are symptoms but they usually stop laying when symptoms appear. If, she does stop laying and/or gets worse, you may want to have her euthanized and a necropsy performed. That is the only way to get a definitive diagnosis. I really hope that she has just injured herself and she gets better. Try some poly vi sol without iron, .5mls per day...and some vitamin E...400 ius twice per day. Hopefully, this will help and she will get back to normal soon :)

If you were closer, I would be more than happy to help you out. It really isn't all that hard...with a good helper it actually is pretty easy. Maybe your vet would be willing to help you out if you were to provide the vaccine. However, you would want to limit your babies outside exposure to a minimum until two weeks after the shot. This gives the babies a good enough time to build immunity.

Never mind, just looked it up. I just don't know how to give the shot. I might be able to find someone who knows how though. Im sure someone in my local poultry 4-H club knows how.

I looked up how to give the vaccination. It does not look too challenging for me. I just don't know how much my mom trusts me. But oh well. It's such a shame that I'll have to order 1000 doses for six clicks, but at least it's only $15 at Jeffer's. If the chicks are vaccinated, what's the chance that they will still get Marek's? Also, should I vaccinate as soon as the chicks arrive at my house, or let them settle in the brooder first?

I would vaccinate as soon as they arrive. Yes, they can still get Marek's because the vaccine is only 90% effective. But, it is the best that you can do to protect your babies from this disease. I am planning on revaccinating everyone in 8 weeks...when my youngest peeps will be 6 weeks old and then revaccinating every year. Anything to try and put a stop to this!!!

According to what I have read, they can receive a booster and then rebooster every year. Germany practices this. If they can do it, so can I. I have lost almost 30 chickens with 3 more showing symptoms. If this helps, I'm all for it!

I had 2 of my Chickens come down with Mareks . I first thought it was Cocci, gave them Sulmet but it got worse...I took them to a Avian Vet and it was Mareks. I had to put them down 2 days ago
hit.gif
I ordered 9 Bantams from MPC for Sep and the vet said to keep them separated and vaccinate after 14 days .(because they are so small) Keep indoors for another 14 days or so and then they are ready to go outside. I learned my lesson and I will always vaccinate from now on.

Back
Top Bottom