Meriks or vitamin b definceny

I have seen all kinds of things cause ataxia and semi-paralysis in chickens, ducks, peafowl, turkeys, and guineas. Yeah, sometimes it's Marek's in chickens, but worms, bacterial infections, vitamin deficiencies, mineral deficiencies, and coccidiosis can cause it too.

I sort of skim read the thread (sorry :oops:).

If this were my hen I think I would get a baseline weight, then weigh every day to watch for weight loss.

For worms I would treat with Safeguard orally for five days. This will treat roundworms and almost all other worms.

Because she is laying eggs (please correct me if i am wrong), and walking on her knees, I would give her some calcium citrate. Google cage layer fatigue or calcium deficiency in chickens and I think you'll see why I suggest this. Not long ago I had a duck doing this and the calcium really helped.

B vitamins won't hurt, and they might do some good, so I would probably do that too.

I saw one poop picture and I think it had too much mucus too me normal, which could be from the worms.

So I must confess... :oops:

In my hospital cage I have a hen that isn't really walking and wasn't pooping. She's also quite thin. When I found her she had a bunch of food in her crop so I decided to give her a few days to see if she could improve.

Treatment so far has been tubing fluids, tubing food, treatment for coccidiosis with Baycox, and de-worming. Well, this morning she presented me with a gift, lol, a large pile of poop with roundworms! Interestingly, this poop contains grass but I'm feeding her baby bird food, so this poop is many days old.

I'm not saying this is the right thing to do, or that she doesn't have Marek's, just thought some of you might find it interesting.

I'm just so thankful for the helpful and experienced people that are willing to share their experience, time, and energy here! :highfive:

Dear OP... sorry you face this. :(

I would have to presume Marek's... from what I have read so far.

Feather fixer is mentioned and a bare bottom older girl... Possible external parasite also adding to the issue? Bottom isn't where molting is usually noticed. This gal doesn't look to have excessive feather damage, but worth checking at least... since things take advantage of weakened immune system.

In fact I would suggest switching to flock raiser with oyster shell on the side for active layers for your next bag... feather fixer basically has more protein. It used to have sulfur to combat mites but no longer does. Feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids... I can't really make out enough detail to see if she is an EE or Faverolle... but both breeds will do better with more protein than "layer" 16%, which is the bare minimum for light bodied layers like leghorn.

So even with worm load... no (regular) bullying was described and I didn't here of enough treats to make think vitamin deficit is the reality here.

Without confirmation... I would not worm. BUT seeing them and having no other means of TRULY helping this bird... You better believe I would treat them, even knowing it will tax the system some. And I would also supplement vitamins and offer some of the fermented or probiotic products mentioned... While I don't believe they have extreme impact for healthy birds... 100% I believe they DO help those who may be out of balance.

Poly vi sol is supposed to be for people who already have it on hand for their kids. The nutri drench or poultry cell would by far be a better choice if available. And I personally would get liquid bird vitamins from the pet department before baby vitamins... My Wally doesn't even carry the Poly, and the other infant product they offer doesn't have the B's in it... which defeats part of the key purpose to me. What I know about nutri drench is that it has amino acids also! I haven't used poultry cell yet.

Part of the key IF it was a thiamine deficit... would be including selenium. My very favorite nutritional supplement especially for struggling birds... scrambled or boiled and smashed egg... Loaded with key nutrients, often very palatable, and easy to digest.

My take is much different than many... while I respect their choice... Marek's birds are not welcome here... anyone with suspected Marek's or in other words... limping with NO sign of injury (no swelling, redness, heat)... I cull IMMEDIATELY... after my first experience keeping a lame (9 week old) bird quarantined and cared for 3 weeks before I decided that was no life for me or them... and then another presented. My flock is large... 82+ strong at that time a couple years ago. Those were the only cases I have seen here. Unfortunately I did not get a necropsy as my state vet at UC Davis said as far they are concerned Marek's is "in EVERY poultry environment". If another case present I will get a necropsy to confirm. That being said... I breed my birds, we all have reasons for what we do. No Marek's vaccinated birds welcome here either... if they are going to have resistance... it is going to be natural and true resistance (there was ONE gene identified that offers this)... not just something that allows the virus to hide and proliferate among my flock but prevents the tumors from developing that cause the paralysis. Now there MAY be other signs I haven't yet noticed or started culling for... but that is my method of prevention/containment.

I do agree there are many things that all present the same (and different even though it's the same due to our individual immune systems) ways among our flock that can make it very difficult to diagnose. Are you prepared to have a necropsy done if this gal passes? I think I read she is standing now... is that an improvement?

Also, sorry for asking... how much did that x-ray/visit cost you? And where are you located?

I was curios about birds being able to lay with Marek's.. @rebrascora do you have birds that are able to lay even though lame, or have they mostly returned to walking/standing? Do you eat those eggs, feed to your flock, or what? Thank you for sharing!

Hang in there, caring for a bird we are worried about can be so exhausting emotionally. And not knowing is so hard. :hugs

I hope you will consider not adding birds from other pastures/flocks in the future. While it's possible this came from them... it's also possible it was there already or brought in by the wild since then. There are just so many unknowns. :he You will have to decide if you want to get your future birds vaccinated or have them face it naturally. Hopefully this experience won't ruin you (or break your heart to badly), as keeping poultry does have challenges... but can be rewarding in sooo many ways. :fl

So I went back and re-read the thread. Lots of good input from everyone.
20180912_223650-jpg.1532812
This poop looks like it might have some blood and mucus, so not what I call normal.

Same with this one.

Thanks chick nanny. Does her poop and general self look ok? I woke her up.from her slumber for photo op and late night snack which she engaged in.
She looks pretty good, though her comb does look a little pale especially for a hen that's laying.

She is still laying and last lay yesterday. I have never dewormed and not sure what I would need to do it.
Lots of things you can use. Valbazen (albendazole) and Safeguard (fenbendazole) are great because they treat almost all worms, but you would probably have to order Valbazen since most feed stores don't carry it. Most feed stores do carry Safeguard suspension for goats, Safeguard paste for horses, or Panacur paste for horses (same as Safeguard). I would recommend Safeguard suspension.

Ok. This morning when I pulled her out and was changing her pad I found this. Is this a worm? She was in grass yesterday eating both dry and green grass. This AM when I took her out of cage she was Simi standing.
20180913_044905-jpg.1532856
As others have said, that's a large roundworm. It also looks like she is passing some blood.

Do worms lead to paraylsis or leg weakening and what do I do?
Worms could do this, so she needs to be de-wormed.

Do I treat the Mericks or do I deworm. If I deworm what do I use?
Marek's isn't treatable. You can provide supportive care, but they will eventually die, though some can live many years with Marek's. :hugs

If I deworm what do I use?
Valbazen, Safeguard, or Panacur

Valbazen_500ml.jpg safe-guard-goat-dewormer-(125ml).jpg

If you can't find the liquid these work too:
3_safeguard.jpg panacur_paste_1.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you @casportpony . Do you think her issues may be worm then over Mericks? And if I deworm do you think she has a chance of recovery? I am heading to BIg R after work to see what they have
I do think there is a chance that it could be worms and a vitamin/mineral deficiency.

I just checked BigR and they do sell Safeguard for goats:
https://www.bigr.com/farm-ranch/livestock/safe-guard-125-ml-goat-dewormer/260392.html
If they have this get it and a 3 ml needless syringe.
bigr safe-guard.png

If they have this, get it and a 3 ml needless syringe.

Last edited:
I do think there is a chance that it could be worms and a vitamin/mineral deficiency.

I just checked BigR and they do sell Safeguard for goats:
https://www.bigr.com/farm-ranch/livestock/safe-guard-125-ml-goat-dewormer/260392.html
If they have this get it and a 3 ml needless syringe.
View attachment 1533175

If they have this, get it and a 3 ml needless syringe.
Do you think the pale comb and poop also related to worms? And should I go ahead and treat the whole flock?

Back
Top Bottom