Messy Ducklings

ShyanneW

Songster
Mar 26, 2020
Maine
Hi!

So let me preface this by saying, I know ducklings/ducks are messy, and it’s just in their nature.

BUT.

I’m here to see if anyone has any tips or tricks on how to keep their bedding less soaked? I attached a picture here that is an hour after I had completely dumped and cleaned the brooder, and half of it is already soaked again (I also attached one of them in their temporary pen for when I clean the brooder, because they’re not always demons who soak everything 😉). I feel like I’m going around behind them and scooping wet shavings. I’ve tried propping their water up on things, I’ve tried hanging it - all with the same result.

I’m a first time duck mama so this is all new to me, any tips are SO appreciated.

Attachments

• 4A5539DF-2DBF-47E8-9F89-94DFD7A602EE.jpeg
    4A5539DF-2DBF-47E8-9F89-94DFD7A602EE.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 20
  • 1DF6E11D-0733-45CB-8E92-E4547D384D39.jpeg
    1DF6E11D-0733-45CB-8E92-E4547D384D39.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 17
Ducks are messy in general. I would remove the chick waterer, they are too big for that now. You can take a milk jug and cut a hole big enough for them to dip their nose in and get water. Or an old sour cream container with a hole cut in the lid. You can use anything.

Ducks can stand a little more moisture than chicks, what i do is

towels for the first week, changed every two days

Pine shavings after that, i just dump and refill every 2 days for the second week
Then i dump and refill everyday for the third week and every week after that

I rinse out my bathtub and put a couple inches of warm water in it so they have a place to play while iam cleaning the brooder. i dont spot clean very much because they are so messy

If you have a tablet you can video call your tablet from your phone and you have yourself a baby monitor so you can keep an eye on them in the bath 😅

Ducks are messy in general. I would remove the chick waterer, they are too big for that now. You can take a milk jug and cut a hole big enough for them to dip their nose in and get water. Or an old sour cream container with a hole cut in the lid. You can use anything.
Interesting, that’s some great info. We’re almost at the end of a gallon of milk, so I’ll definitely try that!

Ducks can stand a little more moisture than chicks, what i do is

towels for the first week, changed every two days

Pine shavings after that, i just dump and refill every 2 days for the second week
Then i dump and refill everyday for the third week and every week after that

I rinse out my bathtub and put a couple inches of warm water in it so they have a place to play while iam cleaning the brooder. i dont spot clean very much because they are so messy

If you have a tablet you can video call your tablet from your phone and you have yourself a baby monitor so you can keep an eye on them in the bath 😅
I have been dumping and cleaning every other day, and spot cleaning as much as their messy selves need. I either stick them in an old dog crate while I’m cleaning, or have my boyfriend supervise them in the sink.

Back
Top Bottom