Messy Vent

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hawkly88, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Hawkly88

Hawkly88 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2013
    I have.a hen that is not a year old yet and she has a very messy vent area. I think it is vent fleet and the veterinarians in my area do not work on chickens. I live in central NY and cannot clean her bottom because of the cold weather. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to keep her clean.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Vent gleet is usually a fungal infection. You can treat it with probiotics or a tiny amount of plain yogurt daily. Too much is bad since they don't tolerate dairy. Nystatin can be purchased online as Medistatin or in Canada as Canesoral, and is usually effective for treating gleet. I would bring her in the house, and bathe her, then dry her with a towel, letting herget completely dry in a cage inside. An antifungal cream like Miconazole or Nustock can be applied to the vent daily.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  3. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    Put Epson Salts in the water and soak her for about 25 Minutes. She needs to be cleaned, her poop will burn her bottom. Use a blow dryer to dry her and keep her in over night. You can give garlic and mother earth vinegar in her water to treat this with probiotics capsules sprinkled in water and food . There is lots of good info on the internet.
    Her poop will start going back to normal and that would show improvement.

4. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Not good I had this once and I put Probiotic in the water 2 to 3 times
    a week till it cleared up,,,, but you do need to wash her bottom with
    warm water and soap then dry her off as this will lead to a bigger
    problem and this you do not want .....[​IMG]
    Treat her like a young baby ..........

gander007[​IMG]

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2

6. DufferChick

DufferChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Waterford, VA
    It appears that one of my Brahma hens (8 months old) has vent gleet. She definitely has a messy, dark stained vent area. I notice that her eggs are getting more dirty over time. She used to have perfectly clean eggs. I didn't realize that it could be irritating her and the discomfort can get worse over time.

She is not fond of being carried or held. It will be tricky bringing her inside to soak for 25 minutes and then dry. I imagine that she will be squawking and flapping a lot. I am new to this, so I am a little intimidated. And I need to wait until our Christmas festivities are over. I will have a house full of guests. I will bring the dog crate into the garage to keep her so that I can also feed her yogurt, etc. Hope this works.

Maybe this will be a "bonding" experience for me and my hen. She is the top ranking hen in the coop and the only one laying during this winter.

How do chickens get the vent gleet? How can we prevent this in the future?

7. gander007

Well now my mom would not pass up a chance like this up but then I do not know your gest,,,, I know my mom would ask one of the
    younger gest he they would not mind helping out this pour chicken ....
    But my Mother is just like that [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

8. DufferChick

DufferChick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2013
    Waterford, VA
    Thanks gander007. Good idea. I missed the opportunity to ask a guest to help me. I have two granddaughters that will help me today. If nothing else, they can give me moral support and fetch things.

9. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    Clean the area well and wipe dry. Get some Betadine from the pharmacy / drugstore. Put in spray bottle and spray the vent once daily for about a week. This usually clears up vent gleet.

10. gander007

I think this is what we have grandkids for if nothing else they just might learn something [​IMG]

gander007 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by