Metal Fortress? Is it enough or to much?

ThaSilverShadow

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Semmes/Eightmile, Alabama

So, instead of paying some ridiculous price. I decided to build a "cheap" area for my chickens that can withstand predators.

I used 1/2"-3/4" emt conduit, cattle panels, 1/2" 19ga hardware cloth, hog rings, foam/cushion(corners), galvanize spray, reclaimed door, wire/gas and some hot temps under a hood.

This isn't what it looks like now, but when I first put my bitties in.

Oh, I also have a electric fence surrounding their perimeter as a 1st stage deterrent.

Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
EMT? Skimping on RGS?
big_smile.png

What about the sail-effect with high wind blowing on the tarps?

Rebar with concrete 3' deep at all for corners is my next addition. :) I've thought about that as well. I have a second pen attached to this that already has concrete and buried well into the ground. We've had 50mph wind storms with zero movement to this. The wind generally comes from the side. Thus a pushing event instead of a lift event. The all welded structure is extremely heavy for the amount of materials.

Further more I've tested the strength, rigidity, and deflection of the emt(2.30 a 10' vs 5x the price for the rgs). It handles two humans on top standing with zero sway. The cattle panels really tighten it up when welded appropriately. I was going to weld in more supports originally, but it was so stinking strong. It would of been a waste of time, gas, and materials.

The rebar should act as a grounding in case of lightning.

Last edited:
Well it sure looks like you care about them, LOL. Nice run you got there. Makes mine look as bad as I thought it was :) .

My turkey pen looks like a 3rd grader built it. It is 100% scrap reclaimed built. I need to buy some materials to make it look better and be more structurally sound. When I put it up there was storming everyday for months. It looks awful!

My broiler pen is a reclaimed shed, it is decent.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom