Metal in soil - Need a new run

paulinachickies

Chirping
Dec 6, 2019
Hi everyone -

I'm looking to replace the bottom in my chicken run. One of my chickens has swallowed metal screw / nail and a ring :)barnie!) despite me doing the magnetic sweeper, and I found a bunch more from a previous house owner's construction projects recently. Given the amount of material found, I also suspect the soil itself has high quantities of lead / heavy metals, so I'm exploring new options for the run.

My plan currently is to dig up the bottom of the run and clear out much of the bottom (currently just dirt / loamy soil), approx 6 inches or so. Then I am hoping to put a heavy duty tarp on top and cover with a 6-10" layer of 20-20-60 mix of concrete sand, top soil bought in bags, and pine chips from a local mill. The run is covered by our patio (wood) - some rain can trickle through, but really not that much that it becomes a full mudfest.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the run bottom like this? Would you recommend a different ratio of materials? I'm concerned about potentially water molding in the pine chips, especially with the tarp bottom, but it's the cheaper of the other options from what I've gotten quotes for, and the chickens seem to like other mulch we have around the yard currently. I could also put down a layer of gravel instead of the tarp, but think chickens may be able to scratch that up. Also, should I poke some holes in the tarp so any water drains? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you.

I have not doe that for a run but I did remove the top 6" or so of dirt from my raised vegetable beds, mainly to get rid of some really nasty weeds. From what you describe I think 6" would be enough.

You say that soil is loamy. That implies a mixture of sand, clay, compost, and maybe organic matter. Good to know but how well does it drain? How well it drains with that top 6" gone is the key. If it does not drain then you are essentially digging a bath tub that will hold water. Not good. If it drains well you are in good shape.

If it does not drain I'd fill it with a clayey soil that also does not drain well to a few inches higher than the surrounding area. That way water should drain away from it. Put your bedding on top of that to keep it from becoming muddy when wet. Maybe a few inches of sand on top of the clayey soil and under the bedding to help drainage.

If it drains well I'd look for a material that also drains really well which implies a fair amount of sand. I do not see any benefit in putting top soil or wood chips in that hole. It would be a pain to get a good mix anyway. Those wood chips might make a great bedding in your run but not down in that hole.

Are you sure this is necessary? Think of the simplest solutions first. If your concerned about heavy metal contamination, take a sample and have it analyzed. Its not that expensive and will provide peace of mind.

Second, take a garden tiller or cultivator in there and tear up the soil and rake it through pulling out any debris you find and continue sweeping with the magnet (assuming you are using the magnet on wheels that are used to pick up nails and such dropped during construction projects).
Odds are there is not as much as it seems and if it is as bad as you fear, well then the soil is already loosed for removal.

Dig out a sample from the soil from 6 inches down and have it tested for lead and heavy metals. That far down, it might actually be okay. Or, okay enough that with all the other new materials on top of it, it won't be that big of a deal if the occasional chicken digs a hole.

I haven't been in the same situation per se, but similar. Our yard was heavily contaminated with lead when we bought the house, because basically all urban properties are (it's just that most people don't think to check). We had the soil tested (we have a local university lab that can test things for you if you mail them in) and the results were off the chart. It was highest near the surface though. We had the whole yard covered with 6" of clean fill, and the grass re-seeded. I'm building my chicken run this spring and I'll put a few inches of wood chips on top of that, and that will be that. If you have 6-8 inches of clean new material on top, and monitor for excessive digging, I don't think you'd need the tarp.

I have never had a chicken dig a hole that deep. They dust themselves in same areas and the "holes" are never more than a 1-2" depression max.
Is it normal for a chicken to dig 6"+ down? Our soil is terrible. So do mine not go that deep because of the level of difficulty?

I have never had a chicken dig a hole that deep. They dust themselves in same areas and the "holes" are never more than a 1-2" depression max.
Is it normal for a chicken to dig 6"+ down? Our soil is terrible. So do mine not go that deep because of the level of difficulty?
It depends... How easy it is to dig, but also on the breed. Some chickens are just lazier 😁 aart has some tunneling type of chicken gophers, but I don’t think they are all like that.

It depends... How easy it is to dig, but also on the breed. Some chickens are just lazier 😁 aart has some tunneling type of chicken gophers, but I don’t think they are all like that.
My soil is so hard i can balance myself on a shovel (im 250lbs) and barely scratch the surface. Go down below topsoil and if you take a piece of the orange clay and let it dry, you need a hammer to break it.
But my brahmas dust themselves under their elevated coop, on the ground in the wood shed, and in the flower beds. My flower beds are improved beds and have 8" of good soil on top. Even there, their "holes" are only about an inch deep.
Digging down 6" just seems crazy but i guess i have lazy birds.

Hi everyone -

I'm looking to replace the bottom in my chicken run. One of my chickens has swallowed metal screw / nail and a ring :)barnie!) despite me doing the magnetic sweeper, and I found a bunch more from a previous house owner's construction projects recently. Given the amount of material found, I also suspect the soil itself has high quantities of lead / heavy metals, so I'm exploring new options for the run.

My plan currently is to dig up the bottom of the run and clear out much of the bottom (currently just dirt / loamy soil), approx 6 inches or so. Then I am hoping to put a heavy duty tarp on top and cover with a 6-10" layer of 20-20-60 mix of concrete sand, top soil bought in bags, and pine chips from a local mill. The run is covered by our patio (wood) - some rain can trickle through, but really not that much that it becomes a full mudfest.

Does anyone have experience with replacing the run bottom like this? Would you recommend a different ratio of materials? I'm concerned about potentially water molding in the pine chips, especially with the tarp bottom, but it's the cheaper of the other options from what I've gotten quotes for, and the chickens seem to like other mulch we have around the yard currently. I could also put down a layer of gravel instead of the tarp, but think chickens may be able to scratch that up. Also, should I poke some holes in the tarp so any water drains? Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you.

There is a lot of missing info here. How much land do you have. Do your birds free range? We bought a 1972 house that was owned by some trashers and I find glass and metal daily (A lot). I pick it up and throw it away as I find it. Sounds like I’d relocate your coop and run if possible.

Back
Top Bottom