Metal roofing for coop

Lydia

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
I'm looking for metal roofing for the chicken coop we're going to build. We asked at Lowe's and were told we would have to place a minimum (special) order which is a lot more than we need. Where can I get metal roofing without having to order enough to roof our entire house? I live in Western Washington.

Thanks-

Lydia

At least one of our local lumberyards stocks corrugated foam-polycarbonate panels called "Suntop", in 4x8's and 4x12's. They look like metal roofing, but they're quieter and nicer to look at and work with. You can buy them in any number. I'm sure there must be something similar around your part of the country.

Here's a pic of one of our coops with them:

IMG_0640.jpg

Thats funny the lowes by my house it in single sheets and it comes in standard or green and brown , it's like $24.00 a sheet which if I remember right was 2ftx8ft or maybe it was 2ftx6ft .
smile.png

It is a regional/local thing whether your Big Chain Hardware Store carries it in stock or not, so it's quite possible that indeed nobody in Lydia's area has it off-the-shelf.

Call around, though, Lydia, as there may be other places in your area that do have it. Ask at the feed store, they might well know where to steer you.

You can look for ads for people with sheds etc to give away to anyone who'll tear them down - but be aware that recycled metal roofing is not generally as weathertight as new, and may require you to use a different spacing for your roof strapping than you were intending. (So if there is *any* chance you might end up using secondhand roofing, don't put the strapping on yet!
tongue.png
)

Otherwise you may have to use something else.

Good luck,

Pat

Quote:
Man Im ordering from your store!!! haha that is good, is it tin roof or what?

I hate when I second guess myself. I called Home Depot and the 8' is $7.99 the 10' is $10.99. Here is a picture.

7480_tin_roof.jpg

I've been checking Craigslist- but nothing so far- and will also check Home Depot and a couple of other places. I believe the issue I'm running into is that I'm looking for roofing that has some color options, I'm mostly hoping for green. While I have a strict budget for coop building materials, I am being very particular because I want something that will last for a long time and that has a little bit of me represented in the finished product. This coop is something of great personal significance -it's a long story- so it's important to me that it be "just so".

I appreciate all the suggestions and advice, once I find what I'm looking for I'll be sure to post a photo.

Lydia

Back
Top Bottom