Metal shed as Coop ??

My metal shed (that houses my lawnmower, edger, etc. gets to be about 120 degress in the sun in summer in Florida and whatever temp it is outside in winter. No insulation.

So with insulation and ventilation and shade, it would probably be fine.

I don't know why metal would be any worse than any unheated structure.
It may cool off quicker but when it's zero out in any building for more than a day, it's zero inside too.
Use what works for you. Chickens aren't that fragile if given good air, nutrition and water.

I have a metal coop that my free range chickens go in. All they care about is somewhere to get out of the weather. My husband designed it and it cost us less than $50 if I remember right since we made it out of scrap sheet metal and some old metal racking. Only thing we had to buy was some treated lumber for the frame and screws and nails; everything else we had laying around. I'm pretty darn proud of that coop
smile.png

Thanks
I live in NJ
the wood sheds here go for $800 and up
the metal shed is $258. big diff.

I have been looking for a used wooden one
NO LUCK
and I am running out of time already snowed here
wee.gif

Thanks for all the info

YES NO MAYBE ??
hmm.png

so confused

my chickens are out most of the day in there run
just need somewhere out of the rain and snow for winter

Love the metal coops pic want to make me one in NJ
lol.png

I have 4 silkies 3 buff and 1 odd guy
D.gif

Thanks Debbie in NJ

I've had metal coops for 25 years. They work fine. The difference is, I put tin on the outside of a wood frame. If you get a metal shed, remember that they are a little flimsy, won't have windows to help with light and ventilation, are a true PITA to put together, and do leak like a sieve if they aren't put together correctly.

Other than that, you can make a small wood frame to fit on the inside to put roosts on, and if you know anyone who's handy with tools, and you can get a couple of old windows someone is throwing out or whatever, I'm pretty sure they could be jury-rigged into the sides of the shed and work fine. It'll be those sliding doors that might be a problem IMO. In the summer it'd be nice to be able to have screen door(s) on it to help with the circulation instead of relying on a couple of windows only.

Might be best to just save up and wait and get chicks/chickens after you've got an better shed, one that's a lot easier to work on and do things with. It's not like chickens won't be around after winter is over.

You could get a metal shed and put 2x4 studs in it and then 1/4 cheap plywood.

I do think it would be cheaper to just build an 8x8 coop or something. if you go to some of the home depot or lowes locations they will give you a materials list to build some of the sheds they sell outside in their lots. I build a shed for my mother recently to do her crafts, they sold the shed for $2200 in the parking lot and I built it for $830 and it was 12ftx20ft. Saves alot to shop around and if you ask them they can get you materials lists for ALOT of different shed sizes. I am sure you could pull of an 8x8 shed for $300 if you were thrifty

I just finished my metal shed coop yesterday as a matter of fact. I live in california, and my coop is directly in the sun, however my birds free range all day only going into the coop to lay, and when it gets dark. So temperatures aren't an issue, as for the heat, I just keep the doors open, and its fine. No warmer than the wood coop I just stopped using. I sealed it with expandable insulating foam, put in vents. You can easily add 1x1's throughout to use as mounting guides. We added a wood floor and raised base, so we were able to bracket our roosts to the floor. Very easy if you have the proper tools.

Hi, Sleepy! I know this a question on a super old post, but I live in Southern CA and am figuring out the ins and outs of a potential shed conversion. Where were you living in CA and do you have any suggestions, tips, or words of warnings regarding a metal shed conversion? What size was your shed? How many birds? Do you have old photos? I'd rather have wood, but there seem to be a lot of used metal sheds available, and not many wood ones. These tips of yours have already been helpful:
- You can easily add 1x1's throughout to use as mounting guides.
-We added a wood floor and raised base, so we were able to bracket our roosts to the floor.
Thanks!

Has anybody used a metal shed as a coop?

My girls have a dog run but not a real coop
I was thinking of getting a cheap metal shed
1/2 for them 1/2 for there stuff

I read about putting straw around walls to help keep it warm

would it be to big/to cold?
I am a newbie
hmm.png

Thanks
Debbie in NJ
We have no problems with ours. We still need to put nest boxes and roosts inside. Our chickens are 8 and 7 weeks old. The ducklings 9 weeks. We have only recently built it, and we still want to put a nice roof on the run. We have ducklings and chickens in the run, hence the dog crate. (I keep the crate door open and the ducks go in there whenever they like for naps.)
CB7996AE-8583-46CE-92BD-B73E9ACB4918.jpeg
The ducks will be getting their own area, and we want to get a few more chickens.
AC847702-474F-44E7-AEA4-F914E549BA1B.jpeg
04DE6583-1D8E-4AB1-9303-5047E8BFCCA6.jpeg
F648B0E9-6FA3-4EC3-BB73-9F88FADCEF9A.jpeg

There are airvents at the top on both sides. We cut those two windows in for more light and ventilation. Bought utility windows at Lowe’s. We have the screens in now, it’s summer. We put hardware cloth over the windows on the outside for protection because screens wouldn’t stop a preditor.
The shed is 5’ x 6’, and cost $250.00. The platform and the run cost more in materials.
It’s not “beautiful” but it’s functional, and our birds love their new digs.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom