metal tag on the wing and cannot get off!!! HELP

Great, Pics would help us see what you've got and someone will be able to help you. Even if they are all tagged pullets sometimes they are wrong. Right now I have 3 bantam chicks. They are 4 weeks old and I am trying to figure out who is a roo and who is not.

And remember there are no dumb questions.

Can't wait to see your pics.
smile.png

Official explanation: Click the following links:

Index (at top of page)
BYC forum/website feedback

Then there is a sticky that says something like "how to add pictures to a post"

Sorry.. tried to copy and paste for you but my computer is being twitchy.

-Meghan

You're safe. You got laying breeds. I want to say Barred Rock (BR), something else:golden sexlink?, and an easter egger (EE). Give it a few more weeks before you decide male vs female on these.

Last edited:
Oh, never mind. I listed what I thought they were in order of the pictures, but I see now that the third pictures cannot be an Easter egger. It has orange feet. EE's will have green feet. I'm not sure what it is anymore. Brown leghorn?

Good luck IDing them.

I found a red tag on my pullet's wing with the number 116. First, any ideas what this means? Second, does anyone know what kind of chicken Charlie Red is? She has blueish, grey legs.

We had a hard time removing the metal clip as well. Ours came from a feed store where they mark the Pullets. We watched a youtube video on how to remove it and she does it so quickly, but ours seemed to be deeper into the wing and stuck. We got some antibiotic gel and got the area wet and tried to move it around- the chicks did not appreciate it, but we had to remove them as we read it could harm their wings if left on. (Not sure if that was true, but we wanted them out anyway) We used the tips from youtube on how to open the clip then we gradually worked it out. It took longer than we thought. I held the chick and my husband worked the clip out. It looked like it did hurt them a bit, but once they were out they were fine and never complained when we touched their wings. One had a little skin around the clip when we removed it and one had some feathers stuck to it, but we were glad when it was all over and I am pretty sure the chicks were too! Just be patient and have some gel or cream because it was far more painful to attempt when the area was completely dry. Good Luck....

Back
Top Bottom