metal tag on the wing and cannot get off!!! HELP

desirae

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 28, 2007
Lawton OK
I'm very new to all of this so I hope I dont sound dumb..lol I bought 3 babies and my husband got all the little metal tags that tell you the girls from the boys. Well on one the skin had grown around the tag and her wing and we cant seem to get it off.I have only had them 3 days. Should I call my vet and see what he says or does anyone have any ideas..thanks so much!!

Sincerely D'esirae (freaked out chicken mom)

If it is stuck to the skin you can use vaseline to loosen it from the metal.

Then you should be able to get it off. I just leave mine on. Doesn't bother them.

Arklady

I have never heard of this, but have only had chickens for a year. These are to tell the males from the females? I guess buying chicks from the feed store, you don't get that. Is this something breeders do?

In my experience, the tags are usually on meat birds.

You can leave them on, they won't hurt the bird. You didn't say what breed you have? Are they Cornish Cross?

If they are, they are bred to be dressed at about 6 weeks old. They don't live long, they were developed for meat.

I hope you did not end up with meat birds if you were looking for pets / layers.

Jean

Ohhh bummer.... I bought them at a feed store...and they didnt know snything about the breed..... I told them I wanted them for pets ( they laughed) and eggs. I should have done my homework.

Thanks for all the replys.
Sincerely D'esirae

At our feed store here they had tags on the pullets only, to tell them from the straight runs. Which are male and female mixed. They said just leave the tags on them, don't hurt them and when they grow up you cant even see them. If the tags were already on them I bet they are all supposed to be pullets. I would just leave them. You can hurt your birds if you try to take them off.

do you have any pics so we can see what you have got?

I remember a few years ago when my grandpa ordered a bunch of ducks from McMurray's they had different colored tags so you could tell the sexes apart. I'd guess that's why your chickens are tagged.

Quote:
Can you try to describe the chicks or post a picture?
If you told the feed store you wanted pets and/or layers, they were not very honest or helpful if they indeed sold you meat birds. Even if they don't know the specific breed they are carrying, they ought to know whether they are meat, egg, or dual-purpose. I'd go back to the store and see if you can find an employee who knows more. Somebody must have done the actual ordering and should know what they are. Feed stores are funny places - often you have employees who speak about chickens with seemingly great authority, but they actually know nothing at all.

Hey there csguinn,
I'll have my husband take some pictures of them tonight...So someone can help me figure out what kind of chicks I have, I'm also a bit concerned that one on them might be a boy....here we go..lol
roll.png

And much to my surprise I came home today and found my basset hound looking at my sweet little escape artist chick sitting on the table....I guess its time momma moved them outside...lol

I wanted to thank all of you for your replies...I hate to sound so dumb when I ask silly questions. But hey if you don't ask you wont learn.
smile.png

D'esirae

Back
Top Bottom