Wing ripped off by predator

Amandawhite

Chirping
Apr 2, 2020
Virginia
Ultimate question is should we put her out of her misery or is it worth my time tending to her wound.
We have a single hen that came with the run we bought from a friend a little over a week ago. This hen was a lone survivor of a dog attack. We don't have any other chickens or chicks right now and were trying to decide if we should just send her to another established flock. I had been keeping her in the run so she would get used to being here, at her previous home she was free range. I went to check on her this afternoon and noticed blood. She was still her spicy self and made it a challenge to catch her. Clearly something reached through the coop and ultimately ripped most of one wing off. It looks like it came off right at the joint. When I found her it looked still relatively fresh, but not dripping. Thoughts? We had chickens for a short time before but I'd say we are still newbies.

I could see the socket, so exposed cartilage but it doesn't look like the bone is exposed
Ok, make sure it's clean, use saline or warm slightly soapy water, don't use peroxide. Apply neosporin, vetracyin or similar. How big is the hole? You might be able to use butterfly bandages or or might need stitches.

Ok, make sure it's clean, use saline or warm slightly soapy water, don't use peroxide. Apply neosporin, vetracyin or similar. How big is the hole? You might be able to use butterfly bandages or or might need stitches.
Well, I was completely wrong. I just went to look more closely and asked my son to help get some pictures. The bone is broken and it's a pretty long sharp break. Quite a bit of loose muscle.

Attachments

• 20240312_173917.jpg
    20240312_173917.jpg
    518.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240312_173846.jpg
    20240312_173846.jpg
    744.5 KB · Views: 14
Hmm. Can you see if I vet can fully amputate? The fact that it's been desleaved, I don't know what to do.
@NatJ
Unfortunately, I don't know either.

I have one all-purpose solution for serious chicken injuries (kill the chicken), so I have never learned about which ones can heal or what conditions that requires.

Ultimate question is should we put her out of her misery or is it worth my time tending to her wound.
I know what I would do, but I don't know whether it is the best choice for you.

We have a single hen that came with the run we bought from a friend a little over a week ago. This hen was a lone survivor of a dog attack. We don't have any other chickens or chicks right now and were trying to decide if we should just send her to another established flock.
If you do not want to personally keep this chicken, I think it would make sense to just put her out of her misery. Trying to help her heal will be time-consuming, and then trying to find her a new home would be more difficult if she is missing a wing, or if the wing is present but healed in a way that doesn't work right. Either of those will make her more likely to be bullied by new flockmates.

Some people do keep chickens with various kinds of handicaps, and some chickens do heal from serious injuries, so it may not be a hopeless case: I just don't know enough to be at all helpful if you want to try to help her.

@azygous @Eggcessive
Does either of you have advice regarding OP's injured hen? Whether she has a reasonable chance of healing, and what (if anything) to do to help?

Unfortunately, I don't know either.

I have one all-purpose solution for serious chicken injuries (kill the chicken), so I have never learned about which ones can heal or what conditions that requires.

I know what I would do, but I don't know whether it is the best choice for you.

If you do not want to personally keep this chicken, I think it would make sense to just put her out of her misery. Trying to help her heal will be time-consuming, and then trying to find her a new home would be more difficult if she is missing a wing, or if the wing is present but healed in a way that doesn't work right. Either of those will make her more likely to be bullied by new flockmates.

Some people do keep chickens with various kinds of handicaps, and some chickens do heal from serious injuries, so it may not be a hopeless case: I just don't know enough to be at all helpful if you want to try to help her.

@azygous @Eggcessive
Does either of you have advice regarding OP's injured hen? Whether she has a reasonable chance of healing, and what (if anything) to do to help?
Thank you. It's probably just gonna be hardest on the kids. They get attached quickly haha.

Back
Top Bottom