Method to spread DE

dogdollar

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2010
I am new to this chicken thing, but I got on to something the other day I wanted to share.
I believe in using the diatomaceous earth for insect control and the overall health of the chickens, but, as you know, it is super fine and very difficult to spread evenly without wasting a lot of it.
I found that if you take one of those see-through plastic storage bins like you buy at WalMart and fill it about half to two-thirds full with either hay or wood shavings, then, using a flour sifter, sprinkle the top with DE (like a powdered donut!!!), then put on the lid and give it a thorough shake, it will evenly coat all of the shavings, and the excess will fall to the bottom. Because the lid is on, there won't be any fine dust for you to inhale.
Then, you simply dump the "coated" shavings into the run or coop, and, if you like, return the excess DE to it's container. Personally, I just keep a dedicated container for this and leave (and even store) the DE inside of it.
Works really well........
DD

Great idea!
Thanx for posting!!

smile.png

I just bought a shaker from Pampered Chef to do the same thing. This is smaller than a regular flour sifter but it has a cover on it. I just thought I could fill it up and shake it around in the coop and in their dust bath.

I've got a ... I don't know what to call it. If it were for liquid I'd call it a pump sprayer, with a long straight tube and a handle for squirting/spraying. Since it's for dust, I call it a "poofer". I've not tried it out yet, though. Need to dust my garden. Will do so this evening and report back.
smile.png

I have 2 different things to spread DE. The first is just a regular canning jar, that I poked holes in the lid. I use that for shaking onto the ground or on the floor of the coop. Then, for harder to reach corners and crack and crevices, I have a ketchup squeeze bottle (like the kind for picnics) that I got for less than a dollar at walmart. I am sure you can find those cheaper at the dollar store though. It works great.

Quote:
I use the flour sifter, i really like the ketchup bottle idea for getting into the corners and all.

After I sift out the DE i put down scratch feed and the chickens stir it up for me. Has worked like a charm for me and the birds. I also spread it out into the run to help keep down the moisture there. but with it being so hot, i think they are enjoying the cooler ground.

The advantage to doing like I describe is that the shavings you put in the coop are then "pre-dusted" and are completely coated with DE.....each flake.
You will use a LOT less DE doing it this way, and getting it to everywhere it needs to be with no waste at all. Something to consider, as I find DE a bit expensive (although worth it).
DD

what exactly is the purpose of putting DE on the shavings? I read about it all the time but I dunno why its necessary?!

I put some on my garden to keep beetles/etc. off my plants, can I use this same kind on the shavings? I use SAFER brand DE "with patented baits". It does have the OMLI logo on it.

(sorry if dumb question, but I'm new!)
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom