Methods of keeping roosters... are any effective?

mountainchickens

Songster
Apr 7, 2019
Colorado
Hi everyone! We have a young rooster who has recently started crowing and he's not legal where we live. However I've been hearing about de-crowing roosters, crow collars, etc... Does anybody know about these, or any other options for keeping him? He's really sweet, a Silkie mix, and not at all an aggressive mater with our hens. I do know that there's not much chance of keeping him unless there's a method we can trust that won't harm him or anything. The next move might have to be selling him :(
Thanks!

Much depends on how close are your neighbors and if it is possible to fly under the radar.
De-crowing involves surgery which is dangerous and very expensive. No crow collars have little effect and are uncomfortable.
It may be better to keep him inside so your neighbors can't hear. I sometimes have lots of roosters and keep them in their coops till about 8 or 9 AM. My closest neighbor didn't know we had chickens till I told her we had them.
If you aren't going to want to breed and raise chicks (which will bring more cockerels), it would be better to sell him if you can. If you give him away, he will likely be eaten by someone - so that should be you.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! We have a young rooster who has recently started crowing and he's not legal where we live. However I've been hearing about de-crowing roosters, crow collars, etc... Does anybody know about these, or any other options for keeping him? He's really sweet, a Silkie mix, and not at all an aggressive mater with our hens. I do know that there's not much chance of keeping him unless there's a method we can trust that won't harm him or anything. The next move might have to be selling him :(
Thanks!
I have used a homemade crow collar before. They do not stop a crow, just diminish the volume by a lot. I found it to be pretty effective. Your rooster may mope about at first, but he'll soon got used to it. Good luck!

I have used a homemade crow collar before. They do not stop a crow, just diminish the volume by a lot. I found it to be pretty effective. Your rooster may mope about at first, but he'll soon got used to it. Good luck!

Ive had a pretty good amount of success with no crow collars and my first two roos. But now we know we can just fly under the radar.

X2

People that have had bad experiences with crow collar is a reflection on the owner. It is a management tool. It's not something that is applied and forgotten about. It takes time when applying it to ensure it's not too tight. Start loose and then incrementally snug it up until the volume is reduced.

The area under the crow collar needs to be inspected on a weekly basis. Sight unseen allows pests and problems to develop.

Done correctly the crow collars are a great management tool. In the hands of a fool it's nothing more than a fatal torture device.

Thanks so much everybody! The best thing seems to be giving him away or the crow collar. I'm not sure about it, though, because our neighbors are very close and will hear even if the volume is reduced. His crows are insanely loud - much louder than any of our roosters before. And he crows all day. I wish it weren't so, but our best option looks like selling him. We'll probably be listing him on buy sell trade soon. Thank you for all the great advice!

I've had good luck over the years selling roosters on Craigslist, if I really talk them up and not just post "rooster for sale, $10".
My posts are quite elaborate explaining the breed, how they were raised, etc.. I've sold some for as much as $30-40 - on CRAIGSLIST. That's insane.
If you give them away, they will be eaten. I always have so many roosters I usually end up eating them myself.

We sold him a few days ago to a good home, however he wasn't doing well and was super stressed, plus absolutely terrified of their turkeys. We are going to try a no-crow collar on him, I think. Does anybody know how long it takes to find the right tightness? Do you tighten it once a day, more, or less? Thank you!

I've had good luck over the years selling roosters on Craigslist, if I really talk them up and not just post "rooster for sale, $10".
My posts are quite elaborate explaining the breed, how they were raised, etc.. I've sold some for as much as $30-40 - on CRAIGSLIST. That's insane.
If you give them away, they will be eaten. I always have so many roosters I usually end up eating them myself.

How do you know they're not going to someone who will put them in a cock fighting ring?

Back
Top Bottom