Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Lovely! I was scrolling down expecting that to be the empty pic and then a full one under it. lol! Those hens need a serious talking to! Our cochin stopped laying about 10 days ago. Hoping we at least get an egg here and there from her.
Yup, they do. I guess the lack of eggs is to be expected though. Of my 6 older hens, I have two that are molting, one that was broody and has not laid since. My younger of those six, Daisy the White Rock just stopped laying for no reason, maybe she is molting too? Who knows? My two layers are my RIR, Ash and my super survivor BR, Oreo. (She's the dog bite, hawk fighting survivor and of course still the lead hen)

I think a few of my 21 week old chickens should start soon, they are so red, big and noisy. My BA is huge! I am shocked over how big she is. I did not know that BA's could get so big.

I hope your cochin and our White Rock start back up. Is she possibly molting too?

That's so funny!! My girls need a good talking to as well. Right now Annie and Alice (my leghorns) are the only ones laying eggs almost every day. Occasionally I'll get one from Daffodil, and I was getting one almost every day from Sunni. I don't think I'll be seeing any from her for a while.

So my egg count has been 1-3 eggs per day. I have 9 hens, but one is too old to lay. So that gives me 8 layers. One is molting, one is in recovery, and the others have no excuses.
lol.png

On a good note, Sunni ate a few pellets, some celery, and a grape this morning!!
wee.gif
She also put up quite the fight when we tube fed her her breakfast this morning. She has always hated being tube fed, even when she was little.

The fact that she is interested in eating, and swirling her beak in her favorite water dish just thrills me. I can't believe how much of a fighter she is.
There is always something with these chickens of ours isn't there? I didn't realize all the things involved in the life of a chicken. Of course added to the mix of the natural stuff that hinders egg laying some of us have had chickens eating screws, string and being attacked or scared by predators. Must be tough being a chicken!
wink.png

Got 3 eggs today chicken 1duck egg fixed run temporary so they can go out if they want I was surprised the snow stayed on top of chicken wire. Plucky trying to be broody our tournament duck last x she truer she gave up to early so ill wait wile took some of fake eggs out to help that Wat she was on.I don't know if I got 3 or 4 laying possible 4 one was white other day a brown besides the two off white onea
That's good, it is always fun having a new layer. We've had mild weather here in NC, but we've had quite a few raining days too, but so far only a few really cold days. We should be in the 70's the next couple days, then soon after that, down to the 20's. Crazy weather!

I'm hoping these couple warm days will boost egg production!

It looks awesome! I got mine at Meyer but they only have cream
hmm.png
I still love it though! Here is mine.

I am so envious of all those eggs on your skelter! I love your sign, scale and other chicken items! So cute. I really want a chicken salt and pepper shaker set too!

The egg skelters are really cool. Do you just take eggs from the bottom and then they slide down? I've never had one before. I wouldn't get one either. I have three naughty cats that LOVE to knock eggs off of the counter, so I think I would just be asking for trouble if I got one.
lol.png
Yeah, just take the 1st one and the rest roll on down the line so you always have the older eggs up front. Yeah, I think you would have a big egg mess to clean up with cats, they'd roll them right to the floor!
big_smile.png

Sunni's eyesight is back!
celebrate.gif
I don't know if her left eye is completely back to normal yet, but she is using it again, and the pupil is reacting to light like it should.
Awesome! She just needs time, she'll probably be back to her old self in no time. Are you sure she is not part cat? 9 lives?

I look forward to everyone's new chick announcements, those orders look great! I'll just live through you guys, since I won't be getting any.

Izzie the Leghorn laid her first egg today. After a lot of fussing and pacing all morning long! My first white egg from this batch of chicks!!
\

She used the nest box too and it is funny she laid her white egg beside the white golf ball, The other 3 nest boxes have brown wooden eggs in them. Oreo, our lead hen stayed nearby during Izzie's craziness and her and a few other young ones kept checking on her.

Here are a few more that look ready to lay anytime now.

Lacie - GLW

Blackie- BA

Rocky - PR

My other leghorn, Mini looked even brighter red then Izzie, so I will probably get an egg from her soon too! Maybe I can fill up that skelter soon after all!

Izzie the Leghorn laid her first egg today. After a lot of fussing and pacing all morning long! My first white egg from this batch of chicks!!
My other leghorn, Mini looked even brighter red then Izzie, so I will probably get an egg from her soon too! Maybe I can fill up that skelter soon after all!

See you just needed to complain!

Our BA is huge too. We found out at our show that they aren't supposed to be that heavy. We came in 4th because our BA was too big and 2nd for our BR because she wasn't big enough. lol
All this stuff I never knew about breeds until we entered them in that show. I don't think we'll do show anymore. It was fun and that's what got my husband even interested in chickens, but outdoor chickens don't score well. They get too bleached by the sun and their combs are usually in poorer shape from other chickens or hitting them on stuff. My daughter opted out of 4H this year too since she is doing a horse thing instead. Maybe once we move out to some land we'll do 4H again. We'll see.

Awesome! She just needs time, she'll probably be back to her old self in no time. Are you sure she is not part cat? 9 lives?
You know, I have been wondering that too. My dad said the other morning, "You know, if chickens have 9 lives, she's probably used at least 7 of them."
lol.png
It sounds like your Oreo has had some pretty ruff times in her life too. Poor girls.

\

She used the nest box too and it is funny she laid her white egg beside the white golf ball, The other 3 nest boxes have brown wooden eggs in them. Oreo, our lead hen stayed nearby during Izzie's craziness and her and a few other young ones kept checking on her.

Lacie - GLW

Blackie- BA

Rocky - PR

Congratulations on the first egg from your young girls! Your girls are so beautiful.
love.gif
Blackie looks almost exactly like my Lilly.

I took some pictures of Madame Sunni just now. She is back to cruising around the house (with extreme supervision now). We still tube fed her this morning, but she is starting to get her aim back and managed to eat just a few pellets last night and this morning. She jumped up onto her roost at bedtime by herself, and jumped down this morning without any stumbling or dizziness. Every day I am seeing more improvements from her. She was even scratching and pecking through her shavings in her coop this morning. Today is day 4 since the incident with our dog.

She has a few scuffs along the right side of her beak, and a small scratch just above her left waddle. I don't know if you can see it in the photos, but she has a bruise just behind her eye on the left side that spreads down to her ear. The bruise is from the small puncture wound that she has on the top of her head. You can't really see it unless you lift up her feathers, but the bruise is dark greenish blue and spreads over most of the top of her head.
sad.png
Earlier our dog jumped down from the couch and she growled and hissed at him, so she's definitely scared of him. I want be letting him anywhere near her, or her anywhere near him anymore. I can tell by the way our dog looks at her that he's sorry, but I don't trust him.
hmm.png

(right side)

(left side)

(You can kind of see the bruise behind her eye in this photo)

Preening her diaper.
love.gif

Guess what arrived today, a month early? The shipping date was scheduled for mid-January.

I got my egg skelter!!!!
wee.gif

So I filled it up with all the eggs we have and took a picture...

sad.png
I need to have a long chat with these hens again. Maybe if I showed them this picture they'd fill it up for me?
hmm.png
Maybe I missed it... where did you get the red skelter? I LOVE it!!! About how many eggs can it hold? That would really stand out on my green tile kitchen island!!

Sunni's eyesight is back!
celebrate.gif
I don't know if her left eye is completely back to normal yet, but she is using it again, and the pupil is reacting to light like it should.
Fantastic news she's recovering so well!! She is soooo lucky to have you
smile.png

\

Lacie - GLW

Blackie- BA

Rocky - PR

WooHOOOOO for a new egg layer. I bet they all start following in Izzie's footsteps! Hard to tell from the pic, but it looks pretty nice size.

I took some pictures of Madame Sunni just now. She is back to cruising around the house (with extreme supervision now). We still tube fed her this morning, but she is starting to get her aim back and managed to eat just a few pellets last night and this morning. She jumped up onto her roost at bedtime by herself, and jumped down this morning without any stumbling or dizziness. Every day I am seeing more improvements from her. She was even scratching and pecking through her shavings in her coop this morning. Today is day 4 since the incident with our dog.

She has a few scuffs along the right side of her beak, and a small scratch just above her left waddle. I don't know if you can see it in the photos, but she has a bruise just behind her eye on the left side that spreads down to her ear. The bruise is from the small puncture wound that she has on the top of her head. You can't really see it unless you lift up her feathers, but the bruise is dark greenish blue and spreads over most of the top of her head.
sad.png
Earlier our dog jumped down from the couch and she growled and hissed at him, so she's definitely scared of him. I want be letting him anywhere near her, or her anywhere near him anymore. I can tell by the way our dog looks at her that he's sorry, but I don't trust him.
hmm.png

(right side)

(left side)

(You can kind of see the bruise behind her eye in this photo)

Preening her diaper.
love.gif

Awwww, she sure is a cutie pie!!

Last edited:
Something that is really upsetting me about this, is that, I never would have thought our dog would do something like this. Sure, he has always been an angry little terrier, but usually he just barks at her or growls if she messes with him. The other night he full on attacked her. I can't even look at him the same anymore. I know it was his instincts that kicked in, but that doesn't make it right... :(

Sunni slept I'm a tote/basket with a blanket in my bed last night so I could keep an eye on her. She slept through the night from what I can tell. I woke up a few times and checked on her, and all three times she was laying down in the bottom lf the basket sleeping.

It's still dark, so she isn't up and moving yet, so I don't know much of how she's doing. I checked her pupils with a light, and her right one is back to dilating like normal. :weee Her left eye (the one she is blind in) is reacting to light a tiny bit, but not nearly like it should. But it's much better than it was. Before both of her pupils were very large and wouldn't react to light, so I had to keep her in a dimly lit room all day.

She still has a small crop of food from the day she was attacked, and it only went down about half way, and the rest doesn't seem to be digesting. So I'm going to try later this morning using a feeding tube and a syringe, to pull some of it back out. Her crop is very moist from the pedialyte we have been giving her, so it should come out okay. I am also going to try giving her some blended scrambled eggs and yogurt later today to get some food in her.
In dogdom, it was right, not wrong. Do not hold it against the dog. I would keep the chicken separate from the dog and cats especially when people are not around.

Back
Top Bottom