Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by farmguy2007, Jan 23, 2013.

1. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    Oh my gosh, I'm so happy for you! I can't imagine going that long without power in winter, summer yes but we would literally freeze in our current home without power. You deserve a nice HOT shower!

2. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan

Trust me, I'll be taking one here very shortly. We at least had running water and heat because of the generator we borrowed from our landlord, but any washing up we did had to be in ice cold water over the tub. The water was so cold it would make your head hurt.

3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I insist on having a fireplace in our next house, that way we have a way to heat the home (or room at least) and heat any water/food we need should we find ourselves in the same situation.

Although a big generator would be nice too.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  4. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    YAY [​IMG]
    That is the best feeling in the world when that light comes on after so long without!!! Our record was 7 days without power but that was a few years ago and it was in September, not nearly so cold as December.
    The worst is not having the computer/tv to feel connected to the world. So glad you have it back!!

5. trsturself

trsturself Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Elizabeth, CO
    I worked all day on the coop today. Took out all the roosts and the nest boxes, cleaned all the shavings out, put down tiles (under the shavings) to make it easier to clean and to protect the wood from the rabbit urine, moved the food to the outdoor pen, added more ventilation holes, cut a big hole in one side for the new nest box, mounted the new outdoor nest box, and put the roosts back in plus one additional one.
    All day Sky and Amber were in the coop squawking at me and looking for a nest box. They were very agitated. I kept trying to block off a corner for them and they would start building a nest but then they would hit the wood and knock it down on themselves. Amber finally laid her egg in the corner around 4:30 right as I was screwing the new nest box on. I was sitting right next to her. I have never been that close to a chicken laying an egg before. She was breathing hard before it finally popped out. It was interesting
    Here is the new nest box. DH was putting on the finishing touches (crouching because of the low bird netting)
    [​IMG]

We got out to dinner and when we get home I go out to shut the coop up and see where everyone is. This is where I find everyone.
    [​IMG]
    Apparently no one knew what to do with the new configuration. I had to pick a couple of the up and place them on the roost before the others stated checking them out. lol. silly birds!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  6. trsturself

Mar 24, 2013
    Elizabeth, CO
    I worry about my cochin too. She hasn't laid since the 10th but she is acting normal so I'm trying to tell myself she just needed a break.

I know we'll hatch at least silkies and 2 other types of bantams (probably one will be bantam cochin). I'm trying my hardest to find local breeders. If I can't for everything we want I'll order eggs from BYC. We might hatch other birds just to sell as well.

7. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan

My girls get like that every time we change just the slightest thing in the coop. They act like they don't even know what to do with themselves. Silly birds.

We used to have a woodstove at our house before this one that we are renting. We miss it so much. I always loved sitting on the hearth in front of it on a cold day and read or knit for hours. We couldn't have a woodstove where we are now since 1. The house isn't ours, and 2. There isn't really a place to put it.

We are working on painting, tearing wallpaper, pulling up carpet, etc. at the new house, and we were thinking about putting a woodstove in. But the more we thought about it the more we realized there really isn't a place for it. There is a 3 season porch attached to the house that we thought would be a nice place to put it, but the porch would need a lot of work in order to insulate it. Maybe some day we'll get to have a woodstove again though. :)

Ellie (my EE) hasn't laid an egg in a long time either. I think it might just be the time of year. I miss my green eggs. :( Hopefully all of our girls will start up again soon.

8. NanaLynn

NanaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2012
    So glad your power is back on!

They just don't appreciate all we do for them do they? It is weird how confused they get when you make even a little change.

Daisy, our white rock stopped for no reason and I counted the days. She started back a couple days ago and it had been 17 days since her last egg. She has seemed fine otherwise, the only difference was that she stopped squatting for me.

I've subscribed to the 2014 hatch-a-long, it's fun keeping up with everyone hatching eggs. A lot of those little ones are starting to hatch now but the hatch date is for the new year. It is neat to learn from others, I hope that you keep us updated on your progress too.

Since our EE, Olivia is squatting again now, I keep checking for those green eggs, nothing yet, hopefully soon.

Here is my haul for chicken gifts, we just finished our family gift giving this weekend. We have so many people spread throughout, it takes a while to get all of us together.
    [​IMG]
    My mom gave me wide mouth jars (there are 9 of them) and sprouting lids to sprout grains for the chickens. My husband and daughter got me a chicken calendar. Not as much as you guys but with the egg skelter a pretty good haul.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
  9. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan

Very nice :) I sprouted a few trays of oats 2 months ago for my girls but the knats were horrible! I wish I had covers like those. I'm planning on trying it again, I just can't figure out how those little buggers mysteriously appear when you haven't seen one in the house for a month :/

10. trsturself

Mar 24, 2013
    Elizabeth, CO
    I feel you! I was sprouting wheat for the girls and the gnats came out of nowhere. After I stopped the wheat they are gone. I'd love to sprout it again, especially now that the greens are getting scarce but I don't want to deal with those again. I like those lids. I have a million mason jars, maybe I'll look those up and see if I can get some.
    Let us know how well they work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by