Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by farmguy2007, Jan 23, 2013.

1. NanaLynn

NanaLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2012

I had those lids on a gift list. My family never knows what to get me, so I have to give ideas. [​IMG] They work with the wide mouth jars. So far so good. I may order more, the shipping is more then the lids though. I may need to find another source.

http://www.amazon.com/Sprout-Ease-E...F8&qid=1388414891&sr=8-1&keywords=sprout+lids

I have never sprouted on the large scale like you guys or tried wheat yet. I did sprout in smaller mason jars that I had on hand. I sprouted BOSS, oats and a mixture of beans. The bean mixture got smelly and I threw it away, the oats took awhile but the girls loved them. The best was the BOSS and they really loved them and they sprouted pretty fast. It was really hard draining and rinsing the regular mason jars especially since I used my hand to drain them. These new ones are really simple to use so far. I am trying lentils right now and since they are the seeds for human consumption, I can sample them too.

2. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I've done the BOSS in a big jar and the girls loved it. I will start doing it again after I put all my Christmas stuff away. I tried some other kind of grains I bought at Whole Foods. Can't remember what it was but that was easy too. Although the prices at Whole Foods certainly doesn't make it economical to sprout [​IMG] I don't have anywhere else to buy things like that though and my girls are spoiled (just like all of our chickens right??)

1 person likes this.
  3. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    My local Co-Op has unprocessed feed grains like wheat, corn, oats, and barley. Maybe there's a co-op or feed store near you that has some?

4. trsturself

trsturself Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Elizabeth, CO
    I mentioned those lids to a friend and she says she uses tulle. I'm going to try that.

5. NanaLynn

Nov 1, 2012
    Tulle? As in a mesh? Just looking it up and that with a rubberband would work well and would be cheaper.

I'm using the chickens BOSS from Tractor Supply and oat seeds that are actually deer forage oats from there too. Each were around $18 per 50lbs. The chick peas and lentils were about $2 or less per bag. So it's not too costly so far.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  6. trsturself

trsturself Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2013
    Elizabeth, CO
    Yes, that tulle. I always think of ballerina tutus when I hear tulle. I think it will work as a good substitute for cheesecloth in other applications too.

7. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I think tulle would work great, I've tried using a cheesecloth and it holds too much moisture I ended up with moldy sprouts. It seems air flow is extremely important; or at least in my experience.

8. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Well, I found out why Sunni doesn't want to eat, and Ellie hasn't laid an egg in over a month. They are both molting. Ellie left behind a whole bunch of gray/black feathers under her spot on the roost, and Sunni has been leaving behind a trail of feathers everywhere she goes in the house for the last 3 days.

It's pretty bad timing for Ellie, because we are supposed to get a few degrees below zero every night for the next week. I'll have to do what I've been doing with my other hen that is molting (not from Meyer) and smoosh her in-between some of the bigger girls at bed time.

8 months just seems so young to be molting. :/ Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the earliest that chickens molt is 12 months.

9. NanaLynn

Nov 1, 2012
    My EE, Olivia started molting at 8 months right after being broody. She is squatting again now at 11 months. Pepper, the BR started her molt soon after and is back to squatting and Big Mama the BO is molting now and she started at 10 months. I thought the same as you, but I guess some chickens start earlier then others?

10. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My girls never read the memo about not molting because almost all of mine molted. Not a hard molt but still lots of feathers around!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by